2009-11-29 21:52:51

by werner

Subject: pci=off

"werner" <[email protected]>
In the last time, more and more laptops have problems to
boot with Linux.

The most frequent problem is that IDE drives are not
found, or cannot be accessed because reclaimed as ocupied.
The only mean to access them and to get it booted, is
with pci=off. However, with this, the system becomes
almost unuseable, lspci also shows nothing. ITS
NECESSARY THAT SOMEONE MAKE A KERNEL PARAMETER pci=noide
, so that all hardware is registered, with exception of
ide (and sata) drives !!!! This problem, for example,
also happens on IBM/Lenovo Thinkpad laptops.

A Toshibe Satelite laptop, I need go back to kernel 2.6.23
. With later kernels, at the beginning of the boot the
screen become black and nothing more happened. The same
happens on that laptop with all newer Slackware kernels

W.Landgraf
---
Professional hosting for everyone - http://www.host.ru

2009-11-29 22:30:37

by Rafael J. Wysocki

Subject: Re: pci=off

On Sunday 29 November 2009, werner wrote:
> "werner" <[email protected]>
> In the last time, more and more laptops have problems to
> boot with Linux.
>
> The most frequent problem is that IDE drives are not
> found, or cannot be accessed because reclaimed as ocupied.
> The only mean to access them and to get it booted, is
> with pci=off.

I'm not sure it is not.

> However, with this, the system becomes
> almost unuseable, lspci also shows nothing. ITS
> NECESSARY THAT SOMEONE MAKE A KERNEL PARAMETER pci=noide
> , so that all hardware is registered, with exception of
> ide (and sata) drives !!!! This problem, for example,
> also happens on IBM/Lenovo Thinkpad laptops.

No, it doesn't.

> A Toshibe Satelite laptop, I need go back to kernel 2.6.23
> . With later kernels, at the beginning of the boot the
> screen become black and nothing more happened. The same
> happens on that laptop with all newer Slackware kernels

Care to send .config from your kernel?

Rafael

2009-11-29 23:01:09

by Alan

> The most frequent problem is that IDE drives are not
> found, or cannot be accessed because reclaimed as ocupied.

Some detailed diagnostic information would be useful.

> screen become black and nothing more happened. The same
> happens on that laptop with all newer Slackware kernels

First reporting point for distro kernels is the distribution. Do modern
non-Slackware kernels (eg Fedora, SuSE) work on the problem laptop ?

2009-11-30 19:19:50

by Florian Mickler

On Sun, 29 Nov 2009 16:52:50 -0400
"werner" <[email protected]> wrote:

> "werner" <[email protected]>
> In the last time, more and more laptops have problems to
> boot with Linux.
>
> The most frequent problem is that IDE drives are not
> found, or cannot be accessed because reclaimed as ocupied.
> The only mean to access them and to get it booted, is
> with pci=off. However, with this, the system becomes
> almost unuseable, lspci also shows nothing. ITS
> NECESSARY THAT SOMEONE MAKE A KERNEL PARAMETER pci=noide
> , so that all hardware is registered, with exception of
> ide (and sata) drives !!!! This problem, for example,
> also happens on IBM/Lenovo Thinkpad laptops.

i run on thinkpad r61 . i have experienced no problems.
what specific model are you running into trouble and with what
specific kernel-configuration?

maybe this helps: http://tuxmobil.org/ibm.html

> A Toshibe Satelite laptop, I need go back to kernel 2.6.23
> . With later kernels, at the beginning of the boot the
> screen become black and nothing more happened. The same
> happens on that laptop with all newer Slackware kernels

did you try any recent fedora/ubuntu/debian live-dvds? this is normally
the easiest way to check if there is a real problem or if it is only a
kernel-configuration issue.

cheers,
flo