2003-11-12 06:49:23

by Rob Landley

Subject: Why can't I shut scsi device support off in -test9?

I go into the scsi menu, but scsi device support isn't an option anymore.
It's three dashes, hardwired to on.

I'm fairly certain my laptop hasn't got any scsi devices in it...

Rob

2003-11-12 06:55:49

by Marc Zyngier

Subject: Re: Why can't I shut scsi device support off in -test9?

Rob> I go into the scsi menu, but scsi device support isn't an option
Rob> anymore. It's three dashes, hardwired to on.

Rob> I'm fairly certain my laptop hasn't got any scsi devices in it...

USB storage, maybe ?

M.
--
Places change, faces change. Life is so very strange.

2003-11-12 07:30:22

by Rob Landley

On Wednesday 12 November 2003 00:51, Marc Zyngier wrote:

> Rob> I go into the scsi menu, but scsi device support isn't an option
> Rob> anymore. It's three dashes, hardwired to on.
>
> Rob> I'm fairly certain my laptop hasn't got any scsi devices in it...
>
> USB storage, maybe ?
>
> M.

Nope. That's off. (Only enabled USB devices is my scanner.)

I tried switching SCSI support off by hand (editing .config) and it still
showed up in the menu. (Maybe turned back on by a dependency, but on what?)

Rob

2003-11-12 07:38:16

by Marc Zyngier

Rob> I tried switching SCSI support off by hand (editing .config) and
Rob> it still showed up in the menu. (Maybe turned back on by a
Rob> dependency, but on what?)

Care to submit this .config ?

M.
--
Places change, faces change. Life is so very strange.

2003-11-12 08:07:51

by Rob Landley

On Wednesday 12 November 2003 01:34, Marc Zyngier wrote:

> Rob> I tried switching SCSI support off by hand (editing .config) and
> Rob> it still showed up in the menu. (Maybe turned back on by a
> Rob> dependency, but on what?)
>
> Care to submit this .config ?
>
> M.

Attachments:
(No filename) (328.00 B)
.config (24.09 kB)

by Marc Zyngier

Odd...

I simply put your .config in my test9-latest tree, removed
CONFIG_SCSI with 'make menuconfig', and it simply went away...

Maybe someone fixed this behaviour in test9-latest ?

M.
--
Places change, faces change. Life is so very strange.

2003-11-12 08:39:03

by Rob Landley

On Wednesday 12 November 2003 02:19, Marc Zyngier wrote:
> Odd...
>
> I simply put your .config in my test9-latest tree, removed
> CONFIG_SCSI with 'make menuconfig', and it simply went away...
>
> Maybe someone fixed this behaviour in test9-latest ?
>
> M.

I'll try it again if -test10 ever comes out...

Rob

2003-11-12 17:02:32

by Randy.Dunlap

On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 02:03:51 -0600 Rob Landley <[email protected]> wrote:

| > Rob> I tried switching SCSI support off by hand (editing .config) and
| > Rob> it still showed up in the menu. (Maybe turned back on by a
| > Rob> dependency, but on what?)
| >
| > Care to submit this .config ?

I also have no trouble disabling CONFIG_SCSI with this .config file,
using any of 'make menuconfig|xconfig|oldconfig' ($EDITOR + oldconfig).

on 2.6.0-test9 plain

A quick grep of all Kconfig files finds only USB_STORAGE that
does a "select SCSI" when it (USB_STORAGE) is enabled.

--
~Randy
MOTD: Always include version info.

2003-11-12 21:30:48

by Rob Landley

On Wednesday 12 November 2003 10:58, Randy.Dunlap wrote:

> | > Care to submit this .config ?
>
> I also have no trouble disabling CONFIG_SCSI with this .config file,
> using any of 'make menuconfig|xconfig|oldconfig' ($EDITOR + oldconfig).
>
> on 2.6.0-test9 plain
>
> A quick grep of all Kconfig files finds only USB_STORAGE that
> does a "select SCSI" when it (USB_STORAGE) is enabled.

Huh, so IDE scsi emulation doesn't? (Not that I use it. I want SCSI _off_.)

Hmmm... I just extracted a fresh tarball and tried again and had the same
problem. Possibly I'm looking in the wrong place? "Device drivers"->"SCSI
Devices", top of the menu the option is "---" instead of selectable. Seems
an odd place to put the SCSI bus, but I can't find it it any of the menus
above that (and I just spent another 5 minutes looking).

It's too late in the development cycle to complain about the menu layout, but
as soon as 2.7 opens... (Okay, I'll get lost in the noise, but still...)

Rob

Don't worry, if I get really bored, I'll start sticking printfs into kconfig.
In the mean time, I can pipe .config through "grep -v SCSI" for my own
purposes...

2003-11-12 21:37:33

by Randy.Dunlap

On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 15:27:23 -0600 Rob Landley <[email protected]> wrote:

| On Wednesday 12 November 2003 10:58, Randy.Dunlap wrote:

| > I also have no trouble disabling CONFIG_SCSI with this .config file,
| > using any of 'make menuconfig|xconfig|oldconfig' ($EDITOR + oldconfig).
| >
| > on 2.6.0-test9 plain
| >
| > A quick grep of all Kconfig files finds only USB_STORAGE that
| > does a "select SCSI" when it (USB_STORAGE) is enabled.
|
| Huh, so IDE scsi emulation doesn't? (Not that I use it. I want SCSI _off_.)

No, ide-scsi, IEEE1394 SBP2, etc., just do this:
depends on SCSI [&& others in some cases]

while USB_STORAGE turns SCSI on if it's selected:
select SCSI

| Hmmm... I just extracted a fresh tarball and tried again and had the same
| problem. Possibly I'm looking in the wrong place? "Device drivers"->"SCSI
| Devices", top of the menu the option is "---" instead of selectable. Seems
| an odd place to put the SCSI bus, but I can't find it it any of the menus
| above that (and I just spent another 5 minutes looking).
|
| It's too late in the development cycle to complain about the menu layout, but
| as soon as 2.7 opens... (Okay, I'll get lost in the noise, but still...)
|
| Rob
|
| Don't worry, if I get really bored, I'll start sticking printfs into kconfig.
| In the mean time, I can pipe .config through "grep -v SCSI" for my own
| purposes...

Go for it. Although others should be able to reproduce it...