2006-10-25 09:12:09

by Jes Sorensen

Subject: [git failure] failure pulling latest Linus tree

Hi,

This morning I got in and tried to pull the tree from vger, however I
get the following strange error message:

jes@eye:~/src/kernel/linus/linux-2.6> git pull
fatal: unexpected EOF
Fetch failure:
git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git
jes@eye:~/src/kernel/linus/linux-2.6> git --version
git version 1.4.1.1

Known error? git tree corrupted or need for a new version of git?

Cheers,
Jes

2006-10-25 10:18:50

by Oleg Verych

Subject: Re: [git failure] failure pulling latest Linus tree

Hallo.

On 2006-10-25, Jes Sorensen wrote:
> This morning I got in and tried to pull the tree from vger, however I
> get the following strange error message:
>
> jes@eye:~/src/kernel/linus/linux-2.6> git pull
> fatal: unexpected EOF
> Fetch failure:
> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git
> jes@eye:~/src/kernel/linus/linux-2.6> git --version
> git version 1.4.1.1
>
> Known error? git tree corrupted or need for a new version of git?

Maybe helpful:
<http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel/456625>
____

2006-10-25 14:51:09

by Linus Torvalds

On Wed, 25 Oct 2006, Jes Sorensen wrote:

> Known error? git tree corrupted or need for a new version of git?

For some reason, the mirroring seems to be really slow or broken to one of
the public servers (zeus-pub1). It looks to be affecting gitweb too (ie
www1.kernel.org is busted, while www2.kernel.org seems ok)

Linus

2006-10-25 15:44:25

by H. Peter Anvin

Linus Torvalds wrote:

> On Wed, 25 Oct 2006, Jes Sorensen wrote:
>> Known error? git tree corrupted or need for a new version of git?
>
> For some reason, the mirroring seems to be really slow or broken to one of
> the public servers (zeus-pub1). It looks to be affecting gitweb too (ie
> www1.kernel.org is busted, while www2.kernel.org seems ok)

For some reason which we haven't been able to track down yet, the recent
load imposed by FC6 caused zeus1's load to skyrocket, but not zeus2's...
it's largely a mystery.

HOWEVER, git 1.4.3 seems to have been bad chicken. When we ran it we
got a neverending stream of segfaults in the logs.

-hpa

2006-10-26 05:34:40

by Oleg Verych

On 2006-10-25, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> Linus Torvalds wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, 25 Oct 2006, Jes Sorensen wrote:
>>> Known error? git tree corrupted or need for a new version of git?
>>
>> For some reason, the mirroring seems to be really slow or broken to one of
>> the public servers (zeus-pub1). It looks to be affecting gitweb too (ie
>> www1.kernel.org is busted, while www2.kernel.org seems ok)
>>

> For some reason which we haven't been able to track down yet, the recent
> load imposed by FC6 caused zeus1's load to skyrocket, but not zeus2's...
> it's largely a mystery.
>
> HOWEVER, git 1.4.3 seems to have been bad chicken. When we ran it we
> got a neverending stream of segfaults in the logs.

Please, are there more gitweb services of kernel.org's one?

I know this may be stupid as anyone can git clone && etc. But in my
case all i need (mostly) is history and logs (i've started my devel
from patches, and they are mirrored pretty good).

TIA.

-o--=O`C /. .\
#oo'L O o
<___=E M ^--

2006-10-26 16:41:11

by H. Peter Anvin

Kumar Gala wrote:

> It the issue suppose to be fixed, I'm still seeing the same behavior
> where one server seems ok and the other does:
>
> [galak@blarg tmp]$ git clone
> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/boot/u-boot/galak/u-boot.git
> fatal: read error (Connection reset by peer)
> fetch-pack from
> 'git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/boot/u-boot/galak/u-boot.git' failed.

No, this is due to the load on the servers being very high at the
moment. The only thing that can help that is a dedicated git server,
which we currently don't have equipment for.

-hpa