2005-02-28 14:18:14

by robinud

Subject: Multichannel audio ?

Hi!

How does one use the extra channels on a six channel card ?
I can only hear the 2 front speakers.

I remember on a es1370 card, that I had an extra /dev/dsp1 for the rear speaker
pair, but with an on board VIA audio there is only one /dev/dsp.

I also tried playing a 6 channel sound file with sox, but still only the front
speakers make sound.

Any clues ?

HW is VIA 8235 + Realtek ALC650
kernel 2.6.8-debian
driver is OSS via82xxxx ( I'm willing to switch to ALSA, but a quick look says
it is the same there ).

Ideally I would want a second stereo /dev/dsp1, that would produce sound on the
rear speakers.

Thanks for any help,
David

Varno. Enostavno. Vredno. Internet dodatne storitve.
http://www.voljatel.si/storitve/

2005-02-28 21:42:59

by Lee Revell

Subject: Re: Multichannel audio ?

On Mon, 2005-02-28 at 15:13 +0100, [email protected] wrote:
> Hi!
>
> How does one use the extra channels on a six channel card ?
> I can only hear the 2 front speakers.

Off topic. Please switch to ALSA (OSS is deprecated) then ask this
question on the ALSA lists.

Lee

2005-02-28 23:19:50

by Bill Davidsen

Lee Revell wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-02-28 at 15:13 +0100, [email protected] wrote:
>
>>Hi!
>>
>>How does one use the extra channels on a six channel card ?
>>I can only hear the 2 front speakers.
>

> Off topic. Please switch to ALSA (OSS is deprecated) then ask this
> question on the ALSA lists.

What "the ALSA list" is that? I have asked the same question on
linux-sound several times and gotten no answer. If that list is dead it
should go away!

--
-bill davidsen ([email protected])

by Måns Rullgård

Bill Davidsen <[email protected]> writes:

> Lee Revell wrote:
>> On Mon, 2005-02-28 at 15:13 +0100, [email protected] wrote:
>>
>>>Hi!
>>>
>>>How does one use the extra channels on a six channel card ?
>>>I can only hear the 2 front speakers.
>> Off topic. Please switch to ALSA (OSS is deprecated) then ask this
>> question on the ALSA lists.
>
> What "the ALSA list" is that?

seems appropriate.

--
M?ns Rullg?rd

by Nish Aravamudan

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 18:24:40 -0500, Bill Davidsen <[email protected]> wrote:
> Lee Revell wrote:
> > On Mon, 2005-02-28 at 15:13 +0100, [email protected] wrote:
> >
> >>Hi!
> >>
> >>How does one use the extra channels on a six channel card ?
> >>I can only hear the 2 front speakers.
> >

> > Off topic. Please switch to ALSA (OSS is deprecated) then ask this
> > question on the ALSA lists.
>
> What "the ALSA list" is that? I have asked the same question on
> linux-sound several times and gotten no answer. If that list is dead it
> should go away!

[email protected] or [email protected], I would
guess, as per the ALSA homepage.

-Nish

2005-02-28 23:54:33

by Lee Revell

On Mon, 2005-02-28 at 18:24 -0500, Bill Davidsen wrote:
> Lee Revell wrote:
> > On Mon, 2005-02-28 at 15:13 +0100, [email protected] wrote:
> >
> >>Hi!
> >>
> >>How does one use the extra channels on a six channel card ?
> >>I can only hear the 2 front speakers.
> >

> > Off topic. Please switch to ALSA (OSS is deprecated) then ask this
> > question on the ALSA lists.
>
> What "the ALSA list" is that? I have asked the same question on
> linux-sound several times and gotten no answer. If that list is dead it
> should go away!

Yes, it should. linux-audio-user is active too.

Lee