2004-06-06 18:56:16

by Ameer Armaly

Subject: linux crashing on amd athlons?

Hi all.
While installing linux on an amd athlon, the kernel is oopsing and shuting
down the computer at random places within the install. This is a custom
built kernel off of kernel.org I built, which I optimized for athlon then
i386 afterwards, but with no luck.
Thanks,

Ameer

2004-06-06 19:22:33

by Chris Wedgwood

Subject: Re: linux crashing on amd athlons?

On Sun, Jun 06, 2004 at 02:55:06PM -0400, Ameer Armaly wrote:

> While installing linux on an amd athlon, the kernel is oopsing and
> shuting down the computer at random places within the install.

the oops says?

> This is a custom built kernel off of kernel.org I built, which I
> optimized for athlon then i386 afterwards, but with no luck.

it works for a great very many people, more details are required

--cw

2004-06-06 19:31:34

by Måns Rullgård

"Ameer Armaly" <[email protected]> writes:

> Hi all.
> While installing linux on an amd athlon, the kernel is oopsing and shuting
> down the computer at random places within the install. This is a custom
> built kernel off of kernel.org I built, which I optimized for athlon then
> i386 afterwards, but with no luck.

Bad memory maybe.

--
M?ns Rullg?rd

by Magnus Naeslund(f)

M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:

> "Ameer Armaly" <[email protected]> writes:
>

>>Hi all.
>>While installing linux on an amd athlon, the kernel is oopsing and shuting
>>down the computer at random places within the install. This is a custom
>>built kernel off of kernel.org I built, which I optimized for athlon then
>>i386 afterwards, but with no luck.
>

> Bad memory maybe.

Another tip with Athlons is to make sure that you have a good
powersupply. We have had some random crashes with a fileserver using
dual Athlons, and it turned out to be underpowered due to the disks
taking too much juice...

Regards
Magnus

2004-06-06 21:12:56

by Ameer Armaly

> On Sun, Jun 06, 2004 at 02:55:06PM -0400, Ameer Armaly wrote:
>
> > While installing linux on an amd athlon, the kernel is oopsing and
> > shuting down the computer at random places within the install.
>
> the oops says?
I've counted approximately 10 different oopses, occuring at random
intervals; I can't duplicate them with any chance of success.

> > This is a custom built kernel off of kernel.org I built, which I
> > optimized for athlon then i386 afterwards, but with no luck.
>
> it works for a great very many people, more details are required
>

> --cw

2004-06-06 21:17:52

by Chris Wedgwood

On Sun, Jun 06, 2004 at 05:11:34PM -0400, Ameer Armaly wrote:

> I've counted approximately 10 different oopses, occuring at random
> intervals; I can't duplicate them with any chance of success.

smells like bad hardware

2004-06-06 23:57:36

by Matthias Andree

On Sun, 06 Jun 2004, Ameer Armaly wrote:

> While installing linux on an amd athlon, the kernel is oopsing and shuting
> down the computer at random places within the install. This is a custom
> built kernel off of kernel.org I built, which I optimized for athlon then
> i386 afterwards, but with no luck.

I have several Athlons (from the venerable 500 to the new XP 2600+) in
use at various sites, no problems. Among them an XP 1700+ in server use
with vanilla 2.4.26, rock solid.

Check you've used a supported compiler and binutils, then check the
hardware. Cooling (heat sink), RAM (try memtest86), power supply, proper
clock speed and core voltage, proper RAM timing -- these are all
contributing factors to instability if not carefully chosen and
installed.

--
Matthias Andree

Encrypted mail welcome: my GnuPG key ID is 0x052E7D95

2004-06-07 01:16:31

by Kenneth Aafløy

On Monday 07 June 2004 01:57, Matthias Andree wrote:
> On Sun, 06 Jun 2004, Ameer Armaly wrote:
> > While installing linux on an amd athlon, the kernel is oopsing and
> > shuting down the computer at random places within the install. This is
> > a custom built kernel off of kernel.org I built, which I optimized for
> > athlon then i386 afterwards, but with no luck.
>
> I have several Athlons (from the venerable 500 to the new XP 2600+) in
> use at various sites, no problems. Among them an XP 1700+ in server use
> with vanilla 2.4.26, rock solid.
>
> Check you've used a supported compiler and binutils, then check the
> hardware. Cooling (heat sink), RAM (try memtest86), power supply, proper
> clock speed and core voltage, proper RAM timing -- these are all
> contributing factors to instability if not carefully chosen and
> installed.

I have a dual Athlon MP2400+ running very stable on Linux Kernel (.org)
2.6.7-rc1, only the last week I have had random segfaults while compiling
kernels and the like. So I popped open the case and vacuumed it, every thing,
with special care on fans and ribbons. After this it's been running
flawlessly again :)

My point beeing, better know your hardware before checking for flaws in Linux!

Kenneth