2003-08-05 12:32:30

by Asfand Yar Qazi

Subject: Will kernel compiled for PentiumII run on IBM 6x86MX?

Hi,

Read somewhere that the 6x86MX is PentiumII code compatible, but these
processors are listed as two separate options under the kernel config
(2.4.21)

Will a kernel/apps compiled for PII run on a 6x86MX?

Thanks,
Asfand Yar

--

http://www.it-is-truth.org/

2003-08-05 13:08:57

by MånsRullgård

Asfand Yar Qazi <[email protected]> writes:

> Read somewhere that the 6x86MX is PentiumII code compatible, but these
> processors are listed as two separate options under the kernel config
> (2.4.21)
>
> Will a kernel/apps compiled for PII run on a 6x86MX?

I don't know the details in this particular case. However, even if
two CPUs are object code compatible, it doesn't mean that instruction
scheduling, caching and such things behave the same way. Code
optimized for one CPU might not be optimal for another, even if it
runs.

--
M?ns Rullg?rd

by Reid Hekman

On Tue, 2003-08-05 at 07:35, Asfand Yar Qazi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Read somewhere that the 6x86MX is PentiumII code compatible, but these
> processors are listed as two separate options under the kernel config
> (2.4.21)
>
> Will a kernel/apps compiled for PII run on a 6x86MX?

You could try, but I wouldn't recommend it. IBM/Cyrix 6x86MX is more
like CONFIG_M586MMX. It's a souped up Pentium really (read not P6).

> Thanks,
> Asfand Yar

Regards,
Reid