2000-11-26 16:03:25

by Paul Jakma

Subject: problem with hp C1537A tape drives

I have a problem with the aforementioned DDS-3 tape drives. I'm using
one with amanda for backups. But every now and then the nightly backup
fails with "I/O error" and i see the following in the system logs:

st0: Error with sense data: [valid=0] Info fld=0x0, Current st09:00:
sense key Aborted Command
Additional Sense indicates Data phase error

I try various things to get the drive to work again -> mt rewind, mt
retension, load and unload the tape. "scsi remove-single-device" ->
power off drive -> power up -> "scsi add-single-device". (it's not the
tape cause i've tried replacing tapes).

but nothing helps. now it mightn't be unreasonable to say the drive is
faulty, so i replaced the drive with an identical C1537A. And... same
thing happens again: after a couple of weeks of good backups i get the
same problem again.

Is there a known problem with SCSI tape drives? or with HP DDS-3
drives? What does the kernel error message mean? (it's all 0's so not
much i guess). What is a "Data Phase error"?

thanks in advance,

Paul Jakma.

2000-11-26 16:14:47

by Mr. James W. Laferriere

Subject: Re: problem with hp C1537A tape drives

Hello Paul , Could you add a little more info like which scsi
chipset you are using & what the driver version is & what kernel
version you are running also (One more )& how you have the drive
chained to the scsi-bus . Someplace there is a pointer on howto
reset the scsi-bus from the /proc system , BUT the method is
highly not recommended . Hth , JimL

On Sun, 26 Nov 2000, Paul Jakma wrote:
> I have a problem with the aforementioned DDS-3 tape drives. I'm using
> one with amanda for backups. But every now and then the nightly backup
> fails with "I/O error" and i see the following in the system logs:
> st0: Error with sense data: [valid=0] Info fld=0x0, Current st09:00:
> sense key Aborted Command
> Additional Sense indicates Data phase error
> I try various things to get the drive to work again -> mt rewind, mt
> retension, load and unload the tape. "scsi remove-single-device" ->
> power off drive -> power up -> "scsi add-single-device". (it's not the
> tape cause i've tried replacing tapes).
> but nothing helps. now it mightn't be unreasonable to say the drive is
> faulty, so i replaced the drive with an identical C1537A. And... same
> thing happens again: after a couple of weeks of good backups i get the
> same problem again.
> Is there a known problem with SCSI tape drives? or with HP DDS-3
> drives? What does the kernel error message mean? (it's all 0's so not
> much i guess). What is a "Data Phase error"?
> thanks in advance,
> Paul Jakma.
| James W. Laferriere | System Techniques | Give me VMS |
| Network Engineer | 25416 22nd So | Give me Linux |
| [email protected] | DesMoines WA 98198 | only on AXP |

by Paul Jakma

Ooops.. yes.. that info might have been useful. :)

The box is a Compaq PL3000. Chipset is the onboard Sym 53c876, driven
by the ncr53c8xx driver. Drive is external.

Kernel is RH6.2 default 2.2.14-5.0smp.

On Sun, 26 Nov 2000, Mr. James W. Laferriere wrote:

> Hello Paul , Could you add a little more info like which scsi
> chipset you are using & what the driver version is & what kernel
> version you are running also (One more )& how you have the drive
> chained to the scsi-bus . Someplace there is a pointer on howto
> reset the scsi-bus from the /proc system , BUT the method is
> highly not recommended . Hth , JimL

2000-11-26 16:36:58

by Mr. James W. Laferriere

Hello Paul , Is the tape drive the only drive on that controller ?

- If it is the only drive then , I have just one suggestion
-verify- all cables are seated correctly & -verify- that there
is proper termination on the bus .

- If it is Not the only drive then ,
Try grabbing an pci scsi card of known goodness & place the tape
drive on that all by itself (just as a test) , making sure of
proper termination .
If that works then reveiw the configurations of the other
drives/tapes/... that are on the bus causing problems .
Hth , JimL

On Sun, 26 Nov 2000, Paul Jakma wrote:
> Ooops.. yes.. that info might have been useful. :)
> The box is a Compaq PL3000. Chipset is the onboard Sym 53c876, driven
> by the ncr53c8xx driver. Drive is external.
> Kernel is RH6.2 default 2.2.14-5.0smp.

> On Sun, 26 Nov 2000, Mr. James W. Laferriere wrote:
> > Hello Paul , Could you add a little more info like which scsi
> > chipset you are using & what the driver version is & what kernel
> > version you are running also (One more )& how you have the drive
> > chained to the scsi-bus . Someplace there is a pointer on howto
> > reset the scsi-bus from the /proc system , BUT the method is
> > highly not recommended . Hth , JimL
| James W. Laferriere | System Techniques | Give me VMS |
| Network Engineer | 25416 22nd So | Give me Linux |
| [email protected] | DesMoines WA 98198 | only on AXP |

by Phil Randal

> I have a problem with the aforementioned DDS-3 tape drives. I'm using
> one with amanda for backups. But every now and then the nightly backup
> fails with "I/O error" and i see the following in the system logs:
>
> st0: Error with sense data: [valid=0] Info fld=0x0, Current st09:00:
> sense key Aborted Command
> Additional Sense indicates Data phase error
>
> I try various things to get the drive to work again -> mt rewind, mt
> retension, load and unload the tape. "scsi remove-single-device" ->
> power off drive -> power up -> "scsi add-single-device". (it's not the
> tape cause i've tried replacing tapes).
>
> but nothing helps. now it mightn't be unreasonable to say the drive is
> faulty, so i replaced the drive with an identical C1537A. And... same
> thing happens again: after a couple of weeks of good backups i get the
> same problem again.
>
> Is there a known problem with SCSI tape drives? or with HP DDS-3
> drives? What does the kernel error message mean? (it's all 0's so not
> much i guess). What is a "Data Phase error"?

Ah, have you tried cleaning the tape heads?

The Compaq tape drive manuals have interesting cleaning
instructions... With new tapes, the heads nead cleaning
far more frequently than you'd expect. I've found it needs
two cleaning tape passes to clear this one.

Cleaning solves a similar problem I get with these drives
and Backup Exec for Netware.

Phil

Phil Randal Home: [email protected]
Worcester, UK http://www.rebee.clara.net

2000-11-26 19:56:05

by Paul Jakma

On Sun, 26 Nov 2000, Phil Randal wrote:

> Ah, have you tried cleaning the tape heads?

the drive gets a run of a cleaning tape on a weekly basis.

> far more frequently than you'd expect. I've found it needs
> two cleaning tape passes to clear this one.

uhmmm.... ok. I've now done multiple cleanning runs with multiple
cleaning tapes. let's see what happens when i try the amflush.

> Cleaning solves a similar problem I get with these drives
> and Backup Exec for Netware.

and guess what... it's worked for me too. doh! guess once a week is
not enough then.

apologies to the list my tape cluelessness.

> Phil

thanks,

--paulj

2000-11-26 20:21:52

by Phil Randal

> uhmmm.... ok. I've now done multiple cleanning runs with multiple
> cleaning tapes. let's see what happens when i try the amflush.
>
> and guess what... it's worked for me too. doh! guess once a week is
> not enough then.
>
> apologies to the list my tape cluelessness.

No problem - it's a relief to confirm that it's not Backup Exec's fault
on Netware.

Phil

Phil Randal Home: [email protected]
Worcester, UK http://www.rebee.clara.net

2000-11-26 23:42:52

by Mr. James W. Laferriere

Hello Paul & Phil , Ouch !, is this media that loose on the
substrate that it leaves that much behind ? Or is it something
else ? I'd really like to know what the problem is , as I am
seriously looking at putting DDS-III & IV 's into my backup
schemes . Tia , JimL

On Sun, 26 Nov 2000, Paul Jakma wrote:
> On Sun, 26 Nov 2000, Phil Randal wrote:
> > Ah, have you tried cleaning the tape heads?
> the drive gets a run of a cleaning tape on a weekly basis.
> > far more frequently than you'd expect. I've found it needs
> > two cleaning tape passes to clear this one.
> uhmmm.... ok. I've now done multiple cleanning runs with multiple
> cleaning tapes. let's see what happens when i try the amflush.
> > Cleaning solves a similar problem I get with these drives
> > and Backup Exec for Netware.
> and guess what... it's worked for me too. doh! guess once a week is
> not enough then.
> apologies to the list my tape cluelessness.
> > Phil
> thanks,
> --paulj
| James W. Laferriere | System Techniques | Give me VMS |
| Network Engineer | 25416 22nd So | Give me Linux |
| [email protected] | DesMoines WA 98198 | only on AXP |

by Phil Randal

> Hello Paul & Phil , Ouch !, is this media that loose on the
> substrate that it leaves that much behind ? Or is it something
> else ? I'd really like to know what the problem is , as I am
> seriously looking at putting DDS-III & IV 's into my backup
> schemes . Tia , JimL

Apparently yes - the Compaq manual says that new tapes shed a
lot, and that cleaning has to be more frequent with them. They
recommend (this is from memory) cleaning the tape drive after
just 6 hours use of a new tape, then less frequently thereafter.

I figured after reading the manual that a weekly clean should
normally suffice.