2002-04-01 16:02:06

by Max

Subject: Syscall by name

I saw several months ago here a message, telling about a new system call,
that returnes a syscall number, by its name. So, if a module registers a
new syscall dynamically, it is automatically seen by everybody.
Is this idea dead?

Best regards.

2002-04-01 19:51:12

by Alexander Viro

Subject: Re: Syscall by name

On Sun, 24 Mar 2002, Max wrote:

> I saw several months ago here a message, telling about a new system call,
> that returnes a syscall number, by its name. So, if a module registers a
> new syscall dynamically, it is automatically seen by everybody.
> Is this idea dead?

It's stillborn - modules are not (and will not be) allowed to add syscalls.
Case closed.

2002-04-02 05:46:41

by Eric W. Biederman

Alexander Viro <[email protected]> writes:

> On Sun, 24 Mar 2002, Max wrote:
>
> > I saw several months ago here a message, telling about a new system call,
> > that returnes a syscall number, by its name. So, if a module registers a
> > new syscall dynamically, it is automatically seen by everybody.
> > Is this idea dead?
>
> It's stillborn - modules are not (and will not be) allowed to add syscalls.
> Case closed.

How does vmware count in this?

Eric