2007-01-28 23:21:31

by Andrew Morton

Subject: Re: 2.6.20-rc6: known unfixed regressions (v2) (part 2)

On Sun, 28 Jan 2007 14:33:44 +0100
"Uwe Bugla" <[email protected]> wrote:

> > Subject : problems with CD burning

> Hi everybody,
> the problem I already reported for earlier release candidates of kernel 2.6.20
> (rc1 – 5) unfortunately stills persists.
>
> The regression has become more extreme: While in earlier release candidates nerolinux recognized my burning devices at least after the first start and then never again after all following starts the situation in rc6 is different from that:
>
> The CD and DVD burning devices aren´t recognized even once and the drive seek errors I already reported are still there.
>
> nerolinux runs excellently with kernel 2.6.19.2, but only shows an “image recorder” (i. e. no burning device at all) in kernel 2.6.20-rc6.
>
> Still hope that this terrible bug will not be part of the final version of 2.6.20!

Not sure what to do about this. It looks like a failure in the IDE driver.
Perhaps you could start by telling us about the IDE hardware, which driver
is in use, etc.

Is the floppy-disk bug still there?

2007-02-02 12:58:13

by Uwe Bugla

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
Datum: Sun, 28 Jan 2007 15:21:31 -0800
Von: Andrew Morton <[email protected]>
An: "Uwe Bugla" <[email protected]>
CC: [email protected], [email protected], "Jens Axboe" <[email protected]>, Adrian Bunk <[email protected]>, "Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz" <[email protected]>
> > the problem I already reported for earlier release candidates of kernel
> 2.6.20
> > (rc1 – 5) unfortunately stills persists.
> >
> > The regression has become more extreme: While in earlier release
> candidates nerolinux recognized my burning devices at least after the first start
> and then never again after all following starts the situation in rc6 is
> different from that:
> >
> > The CD and DVD burning devices aren´t recognized even once and the
> drive seek errors I already reported are still there.
> >
> > nerolinux runs excellently with kernel 2.6.19.2, but only shows an
> “image recorder” (i. e. no burning device at all) in kernel 2.6.20-rc6.
> >
> > Still hope that this terrible bug will not be part of the final version
> of 2.6.20!
> >

> Not sure what to do about this. It looks like a failure in the IDE
> driver.
> Perhaps you could start by telling us about the IDE hardware, which driver
> is in use, etc.
>
> Is the floppy-disk bug still there?

Hi Andrew and all others,
1. The floppy bug does not exist anymore. Congretulations!
My IDE hardware is Intel north and south bridge, the standard idecd driver is in use.
As I was all the time suspecting a timing error I'm looking forward to testing Mike´s patch and I guess the bug will be absent then.
Lots of thanks for Mikes work!
Big regards and thanks for the late reply

Uwe

Jetzt GMX TopMail testen: http://www.gmx.net/de/go/topmail?ac=OM.GX.GX003K11713T4783a