2012-01-24 04:15:16

by Greg Hazel

Subject: BT_AMP_POLICY and RFCOMM

Hi,

I'm trying to set BT_AMP_POLICY on an RFCOMM socket to BT_AMP_POLICY_PREFER_AMP. In return I'm getting "Operation not supported on transport endpoint" (errno 95). Glancing at the code, it looks like RFCOMM sockets do not handle BT_AMP_POLICY, and the default policy for the underlying L2CAP socket is BT_AMP_POLICY_REQUIRE_BR_EDR. However, the L2CAP socket is L2CAP_MODE_ERTM, so my expectation is that it would work to use AMP.

So, why was BT_AMP_POLICY left out for RFCOMM sockets? Was it simply an oversight?

-Greg

2012-01-24 20:59:39

by Greg Hazel

Subject: Re: BT_AMP_POLICY and RFCOMM

On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 9:45 AM, Peter Krystad <[email protected]> wrote:

>> question still stands I suppose, but is obviously predicated on support being added
>> eventually.
>
> Since l2cap ertm is required for channels on AMP the rfcomm layer is unnecessary, it makes
> more sense for obex profiles to be modified to use l2cap ertm sockets directly, which do/will
> support AMP.

I agree that rfcomm is no longer crucial in the presence of ertm.
However, there are existing applications which use rfcomm directly,
which could benefit from the AMP functionality with only a tiny
setsockopt modification, instead of switching to l2cap instead. Mine
is one such application.

-Greg

2012-01-24 17:45:48

by Peter Krystad

Greg,

Probably not :)

E-mail me or post to https://www.codeaurora.org/forums/viewforum.php?f=4

Peter.

--Peter Krystad
Qualcomm Innovation Center, Inc. is a member of Code Aurora Forum

2012-01-24 09:57:11

by Greg Hazel

Ah, it looks like android-msm (which I am using) tracks that to some extent. At least it contains this commit https://www.codeaurora.org/gitweb/quic/le/?p=kernel/msm.git;a=commit;h=5bf61204e8567df6be8583a258dba36343f87cb5 which seems to be an implementation, although I haven't tried it.

Is this the right mailing list to ask about the AMP bluetooth work contained in msm and android-msm?

-Greg

2012-01-24 08:57:26

by Andrei Emeltchenko

Hi Greg,

On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 12:36:23AM -0800, Greg Hazel wrote:
> On Jan 24, 2012, at 12:27 AM, Andrei Emeltchenko wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Jan 23, 2012 at 08:15:16PM -0800, Greg Hazel wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I'm trying to set BT_AMP_POLICY on an RFCOMM socket to
> >> BT_AMP_POLICY_PREFER_AMP. In return I'm getting "Operation not supported
> >
> > BTW: Why would you need to set this? Functionality is not supported yet so
> > nothing will change.
>
> Oh, I had not made it far enough into bluez to notice it had not been implemented. My question still stands I suppose, but is obviously predicated on support being added eventually.
>
> Out of curiosity, is there a bluetooth stack which does support AMP yet?

Look at git://codeaurora.org/kernel/msm.git

Best regards
Andrei Emeltchenko

2012-01-24 08:36:23

by Greg Hazel

On Jan 24, 2012, at 12:27 AM, Andrei Emeltchenko wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 23, 2012 at 08:15:16PM -0800, Greg Hazel wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm trying to set BT_AMP_POLICY on an RFCOMM socket to
>> BT_AMP_POLICY_PREFER_AMP. In return I'm getting "Operation not supported
>
> BTW: Why would you need to set this? Functionality is not supported yet so
> nothing will change.

Oh, I had not made it far enough into bluez to notice it had not been implemented. My question still stands I suppose, but is obviously predicated on support being added eventually.

Out of curiosity, is there a bluetooth stack which does support AMP yet?

-Greg

2012-01-24 08:27:42

by Andrei Emeltchenko