2017-03-29 01:31:29

by Gregoire Gentil

Subject: Clarification on tools/eddystone.c - how to advertise the simplest way

Hello,

I have an embedded device and I want to advertise using BLE. This code
compiles against the bluetooth library and actually works (even without
bluetoothd running):

https://github.com/carsonmcdonald/bluez-experiments/blob/master/experiments/advertisetest.c

I see the advertising on an Android phone.

I was looking for a more comprehensive and cleaner example. I was told
to use tools/eddystone.c

I have compiled the following files together:

src/shared/hci.c
src/shared/io-mainloop.c
src/shared/mainloop.c
src/shared/queue.c
src/shared/timeout-mainloop.c
src/shared/util.c
tools/eddystone.c

but when I run eddystone, nothing happens. Nothing is advertised. What
am I missing? Note that I have to "hciconfig hci0 down" to run
eddystone. Am I misunderstanding what eddystone is supposed to do?

My objective is to advertise and to listen to advertising the simplest
way (without d-bus or bluetoothd daemon)? I'm fine to compile against
the bluetooth library if needed. What is the best starting point?

Grégoire