2009-03-27 17:45:05

by Klaus Teller

Subject: Supporting more than 7 Connections

Hi,

I was wondering how BlueZ handles parked connections. I came across this comment http://osdir.com/ml/linux.bluez.devel/2003-07/msg00110.html that looks like something that would allow me to transparently manage parked connections.

Essentially, the article talks about supervisory unpark-parks where BlueZ will could deal with parking and unparkingdevices when it has data for them.

Can somebody tell me if this has been implemented since then?

Best regards,
Klaus Teller
--
Neu: GMX FreeDSL Komplettanschluss mit DSL 6.000 Flatrate + Telefonanschluss f?r nur 17,95 Euro/mtl.!* http://dsl.gmx.de/?ac=OM.AD.PD003K11308T4569a

2009-03-28 13:58:50

by Manuel Naranjo

Subject: Re: Supporting more than 7 Connections

Hi Marcel,
>> I've inquired with Aircable and it appears their Bluetooth Chip can handle 7 active connections and 128 parked connections. The comment at http://osdir.com/ml/linux.bluez.devel/2003-07/msg00110.html also suggests that the CSR chip is capable of handling more than 7 connections overall.
>>
>> So, what effort would be involved in making supervisory unpark-parks in BlueZ possible?
>>

> Aircable is not building their own chips. So I highly doubt that any
> chip manufacturer bothered to test park with 128 slaves.
You're right we're not building the chips, almost no one can do it, not
every company can afford the money for this. We're just using BlueCore 4
from CSR for the dongle Klaus is talking about.

> I think these guys mixing specification values with real life values.
According to CSR the chip it self should be available to support park
mode, but I agree with you, I doubt they tested this in a real
environment. I think that for bluetooth uses 7 connections is quite
enough, I can't imagine when you would need more, the only scenario I
can think off is real time sensors networks.
> However be my guest to prove me wrong, but keep in mind that park state will be eventually be deprecated since nobody is using it.

I agree.

Thanks,
Manuel Naranjo
Wireless Cables Inc
http://www.aircable.net

2009-03-28 04:00:49

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Klaus,

> I've inquired with Aircable and it appears their Bluetooth Chip can handle 7 active connections and 128 parked connections. The comment at http://osdir.com/ml/linux.bluez.devel/2003-07/msg00110.html also suggests that the CSR chip is capable of handling more than 7 connections overall.
>
> So, what effort would be involved in making supervisory unpark-parks in BlueZ possible?

Aircable is not building their own chips. So I highly doubt that any
chip manufacturer bothered to test park with 128 slaves. I think these
guys mixing specification values with real life values. However be my
guest to prove me wrong, but keep in mind that park state will be
eventually be deprecated since nobody is using it.

Regards

Marcel

2009-03-27 20:48:41

by Klaus Teller

Hi Marcel,

I've inquired with Aircable and it appears their Bluetooth Chip can handle 7 active connections and 128 parked connections. The comment at http://osdir.com/ml/linux.bluez.devel/2003-07/msg00110.html also suggests that the CSR chip is capable of handling more than 7 connections overall.

So, what effort would be involved in making supervisory unpark-parks in BlueZ possible?

Klaus.

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 08:05:21 +0100
> Von: Marcel Holtmann <[email protected]>
> An: Klaus Teller <[email protected]>
> CC: [email protected]
> Betreff: Re: Supporting more than 7 Connections

> Hi Klaus,
>
> > I was wondering how BlueZ handles parked connections. I came across this
> comment http://osdir.com/ml/linux.bluez.devel/2003-07/msg00110.html that
> looks like something that would allow me to transparently manage parked
> connections.
> >
> > Essentially, the article talks about supervisory unpark-parks where
> BlueZ will could deal with parking and unparkingdevices when it has data for
> them.
> >
> > Can somebody tell me if this has been implemented since then?
>
> we could, but it will not help you. Almost all Bluetooth chips don't
> support more than 7 connections overall. Parked or not parked makes no
> difference. It is a memory constraint on the chip.
>
> Regards
>
> Marcel

> in

Neu: GMX FreeDSL Komplettanschluss mit DSL 6.000 Flatrate + Telefonanschluss f?r nur 17,95 Euro/mtl.!* http://dsl.gmx.de/?ac=OM.AD.PD003K11308T4569a