2015-10-28 07:33:18

by Pacho Ramos

Subject: Should btmgmt be installed?

Some people downstream is asking us to install btmgmt utility but, for
some reason, it looks like upstream makefile rules don't install it. Is
that being missed on purpose? Should Makefiles be fixed to get it
installed or that utility is not meant to be installed in users
systems?

Thanks for the info

2015-10-31 04:00:29

by Marcel Holtmann

Subject: Re: Should btmgmt be installed?

Hi Johan,

>> Some people downstream is asking us to install btmgmt utility but, for
>> some reason, it looks like upstream makefile rules don't install it. Is
>> that being missed on purpose? Should Makefiles be fixed to get it
>> installed or that utility is not meant to be installed in users
>> systems?
>
> I think this is mostly because of historical reasons. The btmgmt tool
> wasn't created for anything else except a developer testing tool
> initially. It's still supposed to be just a developer tool, but if
> people have good reasons to use it then I don't personally have anything
> against making it installable through the makefile rules. Someone should
> just send a patch for it. That said, Marcel might have a differing
> opinion on the matter (though his silence so far is promising ;)

I do not think btmgmt should be installed. It is not a tool with a stable interface nor is it useful for non-developers. The main tool for interaction should be bluetoothctl.

Also hciconfig and hcitool are not really tools that should be installed these days. They are actually harmful since they inject HCI commands. And with that btmgmt is not as bad, but still harmful since it can mess with the mgmt interface.

The one thing I really like to avoid is that btmgmt ends up in all the howto docs as some tool that someone can rely on. I do not think it is such kind of tool.

Regards

Marcel

2015-10-30 16:31:57

by Adam Moore

Seems like if the potentially dangerous hcitool is still installed, there
would be no harm in installing btmgmt - perhaps long term btmgmt should be
installed instead of hcitool.

On 10/30/15, 8:00 AM, "[email protected] on behalf of
Johan Hedberg" <[email protected] on behalf of
[email protected]> wrote:

>Hi Pacho,
>
>On Wed, Oct 28, 2015, Pacho Ramos wrote:
>> Some people downstream is asking us to install btmgmt utility but, for
>> some reason, it looks like upstream makefile rules don't install it. Is
>> that being missed on purpose? Should Makefiles be fixed to get it
>> installed or that utility is not meant to be installed in users
>> systems?
>
>I think this is mostly because of historical reasons. The btmgmt tool
>wasn't created for anything else except a developer testing tool
>initially. It's still supposed to be just a developer tool, but if
>people have good reasons to use it then I don't personally have anything
>against making it installable through the makefile rules. Someone should
>just send a patch for it. That said, Marcel might have a differing
>opinion on the matter (though his silence so far is promising ;)
>
>Johan
>--
>linux-bluetooth" in
>the body of a message to [email protected]

Statement of Confidentiality

The contents of this e-mail message and any attachments are confidential and are intended solely for the addressee. The information may also be legally privileged. This transmission is sent in trust, and the sole purpose of delivery to the intended recipient. If you have received this transmission in error, any use, reproduction or dissemination of this transmission is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please immediately notify the sender by reply e-mail or at 508.683.2500 and delete this message and its attachments, if any.

2015-10-30 12:00:53

by Johan Hedberg