2009-07-15 10:55:52

by Daniel Castro

Subject: Fwd: Super fast audio with alsa

Hello,

Very new to this bluetooth audio stuff and I hope this is a good place to ask.

I have a Motorola S9 headset, and I followed the instructions in
http://wiki.bluez.org/wiki/HOWTO/AudioDevices to configure it to
listen music with Audacious.
I also have blueman installed which makes it very easy to pair and connect.

It kinda' works, but most of the times the audio goes super fast, it
goes through the whole song in seconds, and CPU usage gets very high.
When it works, if I leave it then it keeps working, but as soon as I
start doing stuff like next song, play/pause it get messy again.

Not sure it makes sense?
Can someone help? Need more info? Can you point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

2009-07-15 11:56:33

by Daniel Castro

Subject: Re: Super fast audio with alsa

2009/7/15 James Le Cuirot <[email protected]>:
> On Wed, 15 Jul 2009 12:16:51 +0100
> Daniel Castro <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> 2009/7/15 James Le Cuirot <[email protected]>:
>> > I have the Motorola S9 and it works with ALSA for me but I'm not
>> > sure if I ever tried it through Audacious. Did you try it via a
>> > plug device or did you use the device directly?
>>
>> not sure how to answer your question.
>>
>> so i created the ~/.asoundrc file with:
>> pcm.S9bluetoothraw {
>> ? ?type bluetooth
>> ? ?device 00:0D:FD:23:1A:DE
>> }
>> pcm.S9bluetooth {
>> ? ? type plug
>> ? ? slave {
>> ? ? ? ? pcm S9bluetoothraw
>> ? ? }
>> }
>>
>> and then from audacious I tell it to use ALSA Output plugin for it's
>> audio system and set S9bluetooth as the audio device.
>
> That is what I meant. Should work. I'm no expert so I can't suggest
me either :(
> much more than trying something other than Audacious but I'm guessing
> you have already.
yes i have... pretty much same thing happens...

I just tried:
~$ sudo alsa reload

hit play in audacious and it's working... maybe this is a workaround
or maybe it was just coincidence... i'll monitor and see.

--
________________________

Daniel Castro, M.Sc.
+353 083-318-2058
________________________

2009-07-15 11:44:52

by James Le Cuirot

On Wed, 15 Jul 2009 12:16:51 +0100
Daniel Castro <[email protected]> wrote:

> 2009/7/15 James Le Cuirot <[email protected]>:
> > I have the Motorola S9 and it works with ALSA for me but I'm not
> > sure if I ever tried it through Audacious. Did you try it via a
> > plug device or did you use the device directly?
>
> not sure how to answer your question.
>
> so i created the ~/.asoundrc file with:
> pcm.S9bluetoothraw {
> type bluetooth
> device 00:0D:FD:23:1A:DE
> }
> pcm.S9bluetooth {
> type plug
> slave {
> pcm S9bluetoothraw
> }
> }
>
> and then from audacious I tell it to use ALSA Output plugin for it's
> audio system and set S9bluetooth as the audio device.

That is what I meant. Should work. I'm no expert so I can't suggest
much more than trying something other than Audacious but I'm guessing
you have already.

James

2009-07-15 11:16:51

by Daniel Castro

2009/7/15 James Le Cuirot <[email protected]>:
> On Wed, 15 Jul 2009 11:55:52 +0100
> Daniel Castro <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> I have a Motorola S9 headset, and I followed the instructions in
>> http://wiki.bluez.org/wiki/HOWTO/AudioDevices to configure it to
>> listen music with Audacious.
>> I also have blueman installed which makes it very easy to pair and
>> connect.
>>
>> It kinda' works, but most of the times the audio goes super fast, it
>> goes through the whole song in seconds, and CPU usage gets very high.
>> When it works, if I leave it then it keeps working, but as soon as I
>> start doing stuff like next song, play/pause it get messy again.
>>
>> Not sure it makes sense?
>> Can someone help? Need more info? Can you point me in the right
>> direction?
>
> I have the Motorola S9 and it works with ALSA for me but I'm not sure
> if I ever tried it through Audacious. Did you try it via a plug device
> or did you use the device directly?

not sure how to answer your question.

so i created the ~/.asoundrc file with:
pcm.S9bluetoothraw {
type bluetooth
device 00:0D:FD:23:1A:DE
}
pcm.S9bluetooth {
type plug
slave {
pcm S9bluetoothraw
}
}

and then from audacious I tell it to use ALSA Output plugin for it's
audio system and set S9bluetooth as the audio device.

> Personally I'm waiting for PulseAudio's bluetooth support to get
> completed because I find the ALSA driver a bit unreliable and
> impractical. It sometimes crashes the player and heaven forbid you go
> out of range!

I use pulse audio at my home computer and it just works, no issues.
I created the asundrc file and issue the "pactl load-module
module-alsa-sink device=S9bluetooth" command every time I want to use
it and used pavucontrol the first time to configure it to use shared
outputs.

But on my work computer shared output won't work and if I start
sending audio out to the S9 and then another application (say Pidgin)
sends audio everything crashes. That's why I'm hoping to use just
audacious with ALSA.

Do you see any other solution I could try?

> James
> More majordomo info at ?http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html

--

Daniel Castro, M.Sc.