2009-08-14 07:07:44

by Brad Midgley

Subject: access point networking without X

Hey

I've got some python scripts for driving access point services
(dun/pan) under bluez4. The idea is to cover machines like gumstix or
beagleboard that run without a ui and can't do the gnome/kde bluetooth
controllers.

Is anyone interested in me pulling these things together and housing
them in a standalone project? I was thinking we could move toward a C
implementation once things have settled down in the python prototype.
(Python is not always a great requirement to put on embedded hosts).
If anyone else has built similar helpers, we should collect those
together.

I'd like to be able to extend this beyond simple access point and be
able to do audio and voip sort of services as well. These little
machines are quite capable these days and wouldn't have much trouble
keeping up.

--
Brad Midgley

2009-08-15 17:36:15

by Brad Midgley

Subject: Re: access point networking without X

Hey

> I am definitely interested in BlueZ console tools (not only) for
> embedded systems. It can also be beneficial for debugging (even though
> most of that can be done with the bluez-supplied test scripts).

I've put together some of the docs and the script I've been using for
PAN. I need to verify there wasn't any other magic that I needed to
make PAN work.

http://github.com/bmidgley/greenz/

--
Brad Midgley

2009-08-14 14:19:39

by Stefan Seyfried

On Fri, 14 Aug 2009 01:07:44 -0600
Brad Midgley <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hey
>
> I've got some python scripts for driving access point services
> (dun/pan) under bluez4. The idea is to cover machines like gumstix or
> beagleboard that run without a ui and can't do the gnome/kde bluetooth
> controllers.
>
> Is anyone interested in me pulling these things together and housing
> them in a standalone project? I was thinking we could move toward a C
> implementation once things have settled down in the python prototype.
> (Python is not always a great requirement to put on embedded hosts).
> If anyone else has built similar helpers, we should collect those
> together.

I am definitely interested in BlueZ console tools (not only) for
embedded systems. It can also be beneficial for debugging (even though
most of that can be done with the bluez-supplied test scripts).

> I'd like to be able to extend this beyond simple access point and be
> able to do audio and voip sort of services as well. These little
> machines are quite capable these days and wouldn't have much trouble
> keeping up.

Would be cool, and I would be willing to help (where possible with my
rather limited knowledge ;-)
--
R&D Preload Department | "Any ideas, John?"
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, Nürnberg | "Well, surrounding them's out."

This footer brought to you by insane German lawmakers:
SUSE Linux Products GmbH, GF: Markus Rex, HRB 16746 (AG Nürnberg)