2010-01-06 00:10:08

by Gene Heskett

Subject: need understanding about bt

Greetings all;

I have a usb dongle that my system finds ok I guess, and when I run blueman-
manager, it shows the remote device, an EB-101 that is presently powered up,
as 'trusted and bonded'. Kewl I'm thinking. But /dev/rfcomm0 is not being
created, so while it appears the devices are talking ok, this box is
apparently incapable of using it.

The EB-101 has a shell running against it on the other end, and when rfcomm0
is properly made, then I can start a minicom session that is effectively a
terminal on the other system.

So, how do I reliably get this /dev/rfcomm0 device created? Running kernels
in the 2.6.32.x range here.

Thanks.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Taxes are going up so fast, the government is likely to price itself
out of the market.

2010-01-07 09:15:21

by Stefan Seyfried

Subject: Re: need understanding about bt

On Wed, 06 Jan 2010 16:10:22 -0500
Gene Heskett <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Wednesday 06 January 2010, Stefan Seyfried wrote:
> [...]
>
> >Note that the test-serial has a fixed timeout of 1000 seconds and will
> >close the link afterwards, but that should be trivial to hack out of
> >the script.
>
> I already had a script I'd played the 10,000 monkeys scene writing, so I just
> streamlined that one. No timeouts in it. ;)

Good ;-)

> >If you want to use the old-fashioned style, I had written some
> >documentation about that in a former life. It's still available through
> >http://en.opensuse.org/Bluetooth/rfcomm (it's not SUSE-specific at all,
> >if anything, you might need to put a call to "rfcomm bind all" into a
> >late-running init script for your distro).
>
> I've done that, except the bind is issued for the bdaddr, enabled the script
> and it works for at least the last reboot.

That's fine, the "bind all" just means "bind all the entries from the
config file". You can of course also configure it manually without the
config file.

> I think the newer kernels have helped make it dependable now.

I'm not sure if it's the kernel or newer bluez or whatever, and it
probably does not matter as long as it works for you ;-)

Have fun,

seife

--
Stefan Seyfried

"Any ideas, John?"
"Well, surrounding them's out."

2010-01-06 21:10:22

by Gene Heskett

On Wednesday 06 January 2010, Stefan Seyfried wrote:
[...]

>Note that the test-serial has a fixed timeout of 1000 seconds and will
>close the link afterwards, but that should be trivial to hack out of
>the script.

I already had a script I'd played the 10,000 monkeys scene writing, so I just
streamlined that one. No timeouts in it. ;)

>If you want to use the old-fashioned style, I had written some
>documentation about that in a former life. It's still available through
>http://en.opensuse.org/Bluetooth/rfcomm (it's not SUSE-specific at all,
>if anything, you might need to put a call to "rfcomm bind all" into a
>late-running init script for your distro).

I've done that, except the bind is issued for the bdaddr, enabled the script
and it works for at least the last reboot.

I think the newer kernels have helped make it dependable now.

Many thanks.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

The cable TV sex channels don't expand our horizons, don't make us better
people, and don't come in clearly enough.
-- Bill Maher

2010-01-06 08:23:50

by Stefan Seyfried

Hi Gene,

(didn't we have a similar thread ~half a year ago?)

On Tue, 05 Jan 2010 19:10:08 -0500
Gene Heskett <[email protected]> wrote:

> So, how do I reliably get this /dev/rfcomm0 device created? Running kernels
> in the 2.6.32.x range here.

You can either use the rfcomm utility, see "rfcomm -h", or use the
test-serial script from bluez-test (if it is packaged for your distro,
otherwise it lives in the bluez source in test/test-serial) which is
the preferred method nowadays IIUC and which works for me:

seife@strolchi:~> test-serial 00:24:EF:D1:B3:23
Connected /dev/rfcomm0 to 00:24:EF:D1:B3:23
Press CTRL-C to disconnect

then, in another terminal, I can send AT commands to my phone
via /dev/rfcomm0.