2010-01-16 15:38:49

by Gene Heskett

Subject: weak bt?

Greetings all;

I have a broadcom bluetooth dongle plugged into a full bandwidth 7 port hub,
and another (an a7 brand eb-301)built into an rs-232 emulation device plugged
into a legacy computer.

It works about 10% of the time, so speeds are very poor.

Starting bluetooth-proximity, that shows the signal is quite weak, ranging
from 3 up to 30 and this is an overnight session that has been recording for
about 10 hours now. The devices are about 16 to 18 feet and the house wooden
flooring apart as the legacy machine is in the basement.

Is this distance what would be called fringe area in tv reception? Or should
it be working better than this?

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

It is amazing how complete is the delusion that beauty is goodness.

2010-01-19 15:40:25

by Stefan Seyfried

Subject: Re: weak bt?

Hi Gene,

On Sat, 16 Jan 2010 10:38:49 -0500
Gene Heskett <[email protected]> wrote:

> The devices are about 16 to 18 feet and the house wooden
> flooring apart as the legacy machine is in the basement.
>
> Is this distance what would be called fringe area in tv reception? Or should
> it be working better than this?

"It depends". See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluetooth#Uses

At my last job, I had an Aircable "dongle", similar to the
http://www.aircable.net/host-xr2.html (but in a box more like the
Aircable Industrial XR), and it was really astonishing how many
bluetooth devices it could see (> 20), when the builtin BT adapter saw
2 or three.

So it really depends on the hardware.
--
Stefan Seyfried

"Any ideas, John?"
"Well, surrounding them's out."

2010-01-19 14:38:18

by Gene Heskett

Ping?

On Saturday 16 January 2010, Gene Heskett wrote:
>Greetings all;
>
>I have a broadcom bluetooth dongle plugged into a full bandwidth 7 port
> hub, and another (an a7 brand eb-301)built into an rs-232 emulation device
> plugged into a legacy computer.
>
>It works about 10% of the time, so speeds are very poor.
>
>Starting bluetooth-proximity, that shows the signal is quite weak, ranging
>from 3 up to 30 and this is an overnight session that has been recording
> for about 10 hours now. The devices are about 16 to 18 feet and the house
> wooden flooring apart as the legacy machine is in the basement.
>
>Is this distance what would be called fringe area in tv reception? Or
> should it be working better than this?

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

AMAZING BUT TRUE ...
There is so much sand in Northern Africa that if it were spread out it
would completely cover the Sahara Desert.