2010-12-07 00:35:51

by Brian Gix

Subject: EVT_NUM_COMP_PKTS and LE, GATT and SM

Hi All,

I've have encountered a problem while using the gatttool, where my write
commands get clobbered by the LE ACL being disconnected prior to the ATT
(fixed channel 4) WRITE_CMD being sent over the LE based ACL link.

I believe this is fundamentally due to there being no dependency on the
EVT_NUM_COMP_PKTS event when gatttool decides that the WRITE_CMD has been
successfully sent. There is multiple parts to this.

1. In User space, the WRITE_CMD pkt is written to the socket. Gatttool
erroneously considers a successful socket write as completion, disconnects
the socket and exits.

2. In Kernel space, the ACL packet is added to an ACL queue, which is
separate from the CMD queue, which can allow either the Disconnect request,
or the ACL packet to be sent over the H4 link to the baseband.

3. In the baseband, due to LE clocking (and possible other baseband
activity) the ACL packet could be received first, and the Disconnect CMD
second, and still result in the connection being detached prior to Tx of the
ACL packet containing the ATT WRITE_CMD.

This is not an issue with any of the ATT READ/FIND/MTU or WRITE_REQ
transactions, because they require a response from the server. I believe
for ATT, this problem is restricted to the WRITE_CMD only, due to it's
unacknowledged nature.

However, this will also be an issue with the LE Security Manager, because as
stated in the Core Spec v4.0, Vol 3, in the last paragraph of 3.6.1 Key
Distribution on page 630 (of 656):

> Key distribution is complete in the device sending the final key
when it receives
> the baseband acknowledgement for that key and is complete in the
receiving
> device when it receives the final key being distributed.

This is intended to prevent exactly the kind of problem I am experiencing
with the ATT WRITE_CMD, and the acknowledgement from the baseband can only
be the EVT_NUM_COMP_PKTS event.

While talking to my colleagues here, we were thinking that the cleanest
method to get this accomplished would be by using the "select" method with
the ATT socket, where the socket could be marked as non-writable by the
kernel driver until the EVT_NUM_COMP_PKTS is received. The User space code
could then wait for the socket to become writeable before issuing the socket
disconnect.

If the Security manager is totally within the kernel, it probably does not
have to do as much work, however it does still need to wait on the
EVT_NUM_COMP_PKTS before disconnecting the remote device.

Has anybody else observed this issue with ATT WRITE_CMD? It could be getting
exacerbated by slow (115Kbps) H4 links that I am using, however the hcidump
tool confirms that the disconnect happens prior to the EVT_NUM_COMP_PKTS.

Brian Gix
Qualcomm Innovation Center, Inc. is a member of Code Aurora Forum

2010-12-07 18:01:15

by Vinicius Costa Gomes

Subject: Re: EVT_NUM_COMP_PKTS and LE, GATT and SM

Hi Brian,

On 09:18 Tue 07 Dec, Brian Gix wrote:
> Hi Ville, Vinicius,
>
> On Tue, Dec 07, 2010 at 12:47 AM -0800, Ville Tervo wrote:
> > Hi Brian,
> >
> > On Mon, Dec 06, 2010 at 04:35:51PM -0800, ext Brian Gix wrote:
> > > Hi All,
> > >
> > > I've have encountered a problem while using the gatttool, where my
> > write
> > > commands get clobbered by the LE ACL being disconnected prior to the
> > ATT
> > > (fixed channel 4) WRITE_CMD being sent over the LE based ACL link.
> > >
> > > I believe this is fundamentally due to there being no dependency on
> > the
> > > EVT_NUM_COMP_PKTS event when gatttool decides that the WRITE_CMD has
> > been
> > > successfully sent. There is multiple parts to this.
> > >
> > > 1. In User space, the WRITE_CMD pkt is written to the socket.
> > Gatttool
> > > erroneously considers a successful socket write as completion,
> > disconnects
> > > the socket and exits.
>
> I would like to try Vinicius' patch that (may) address this, but again
> I do not have access to infradead, although I think gitorious, which
> you used before, was not a problem.

Sorry, I forgot about this problem, please take a look here:

http://gitorious.org/~vcgomes/bluez/vcgomes-bluez

> [...]
> but instead of waiting for an ack, it would be waiting on the
> EVT_NUM_COMP_PKTS, that indicates the number of outstanding ACL packets
> on the connection is Zero, with the rest of the logic unchanged.
>

> > Would this be enough to solve the problem?
> >
> > > If the Security manager is totally within the kernel, it probably
> > does not
> > > have to do as much work, however it does still need to wait on the
> > > EVT_NUM_COMP_PKTS before disconnecting the remote device.
> > >
> > > Has anybody else observed this issue with ATT WRITE_CMD? It could be
> > getting
> > > exacerbated by slow (115Kbps) H4 links that I am using, however the
> > hcidump
> > > tool confirms that the disconnect happens prior to the
> > EVT_NUM_COMP_PKTS.
> >
> > I have seen this problem but didn't dig it deeper.

Vinicius

2010-12-07 17:18:39

by Brian Gix

> [...]

but instead of waiting for an ack, it would be waiting on the
EVT_NUM_COMP_PKTS, that indicates the number of outstanding ACL packets
on the connection is Zero, with the rest of the logic unchanged.

> Would this be enough to solve the problem?
>
> > If the Security manager is totally within the kernel, it probably
> does not
> > have to do as much work, however it does still need to wait on the
> > EVT_NUM_COMP_PKTS before disconnecting the remote device.
> >
> > Has anybody else observed this issue with ATT WRITE_CMD? It could be
> getting
> > exacerbated by slow (115Kbps) H4 links that I am using, however the
> hcidump
> > tool confirms that the disconnect happens prior to the
> EVT_NUM_COMP_PKTS.
>
> I have seen this problem but didn't dig it deeper.

2010-12-07 08:47:04

by Ville Tervo

Hi Brian,

On Mon, Dec 06, 2010 at 04:35:51PM -0800, ext Brian Gix wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I've have encountered a problem while using the gatttool, where my write
> commands get clobbered by the LE ACL being disconnected prior to the ATT
> (fixed channel 4) WRITE_CMD being sent over the LE based ACL link.
>
> I believe this is fundamentally due to there being no dependency on the
> EVT_NUM_COMP_PKTS event when gatttool decides that the WRITE_CMD has been
> successfully sent. There is multiple parts to this.
>
> 1. In User space, the WRITE_CMD pkt is written to the socket. Gatttool
> erroneously considers a successful socket write as completion, disconnects
> the socket and exits.
>
> 2. In Kernel space, the ACL packet is added to an ACL queue, which is
> separate from the CMD queue, which can allow either the Disconnect request,
> or the ACL packet to be sent over the H4 link to the baseband.

And in usb case CMD and ACL are even using different endpoints.

> 3. In the baseband, due to LE clocking (and possible other baseband
> activity) the ACL packet could be received first, and the Disconnect CMD
> second, and still result in the connection being detached prior to Tx of the
> ACL packet containing the ATT WRITE_CMD.
>
> This is not an issue with any of the ATT READ/FIND/MTU or WRITE_REQ
> transactions, because they require a response from the server. I believe
> for ATT, this problem is restricted to the WRITE_CMD only, due to it's
> unacknowledged nature.

True.

> However, this will also be an issue with the LE Security Manager, because as
> stated in the Core Spec v4.0, Vol 3, in the last paragraph of 3.6.1 Key
> Distribution on page 630 (of 656):
>
> > Key distribution is complete in the device sending the final key
> when it receives
> > the baseband acknowledgement for that key and is complete in the
> receiving
> > device when it receives the final key being distributed.
>
> This is intended to prevent exactly the kind of problem I am experiencing
> with the ATT WRITE_CMD, and the acknowledgement from the baseband can only
> be the EVT_NUM_COMP_PKTS event.
>
> While talking to my colleagues here, we were thinking that the cleanest
> method to get this accomplished would be by using the "select" method with
> the ATT socket, where the socket could be marked as non-writable by the
> kernel driver until the EVT_NUM_COMP_PKTS is received. The User space code
> could then wait for the socket to become writeable before issuing the socket
> disconnect.

How about implement waiting on l2cap_sock_shutdown() like for ERTM. User space
could then call shutdown() before closing the socket so make sure the data is
sent or timeout occurred.

Would this be enough to solve the problem?

> If the Security manager is totally within the kernel, it probably does not
> have to do as much work, however it does still need to wait on the
> EVT_NUM_COMP_PKTS before disconnecting the remote device.
>
> Has anybody else observed this issue with ATT WRITE_CMD? It could be getting
> exacerbated by slow (115Kbps) H4 links that I am using, however the hcidump
> tool confirms that the disconnect happens prior to the EVT_NUM_COMP_PKTS.

I have seen this problem but didn't dig it deeper.

--
Ville

2010-12-07 00:46:02

by Brian Gix

Additional point--

This solution could be isolated to LE links (and perhaps even fixed
channel 4) because of the strict cmd-resp nature of ATT transactions.
This would cause the inability to queue multiple WRITE_CMDS before
disconnecting however.