2011-01-02 18:27:41

by gene heskett

Subject: At wits end with a Broadcom Corp BCM92046DG-CL1ROM

Greetings all;

This device, a bluetooth button/dongle, or the a7 eb101 it pairs with to
create a virtual rs232 cable, have to be the most obstinate inanimate
devices ever.

AIUI the BT specs, 2 devices once paired, are to remain so, even after
powerdowns, until such time as a new pairing is performed. Right? Or does
linux impose its own rules for low traffic, slow (9600 baud) bluetooth
links?

It takes about a days messing around to finally get it to work, usually
accomplished by unplugging it long enough for linux to detect and do the
cleanup. Then when plugging it back in, if one is quick enough to catch it
before bluetoothd times out and goes away and gets blueman-manager running
within this timeout, which appears to be in the 5 second range after its
rediscovery, then, 1 time only per reboot of this machine, I can get it to
work, and it works error free, with good signal strength showing in
blueman-manager. For possibly 12 hours or so. At some point, blueman-
manager goes away silently, and the link is dropped and cannot be re-
established by the same procedure until I have rebooted this box again.

Pertinent (maybe) info:
current kernel: 2.6.37-rc8
current distro: PClos, 32 bit, 100% uptodate
current hdwe: AMD quad core phenom, 4Gb dram, 4 Tb of drives
current gui: KDE-4.5.4

I have edited /etc/bluetooth/rfcomm.conf to:
#
# RFCOMM configuration file.
#
# this was ALL commented out
rfcomm0 {
# # Automatically bind the device at startup
bind yes;
#
# # Bluetooth address of the device
device 00:0C:84:00:86:F8;
#
# # RFCOMM channel for the connection
channel 1;
#
# # Description of the connection
# comment "Example Bluetooth device";
comment "connection to coco3's eb-301 device";
}

And as of this instant /dev/rfcomm0 has not been removed. And the link is
dead.

It seems to me there should be a foolproof method that will accomplish this
from reboot to reboot, but I haven't found the method yet despite warming
up googles servers searching for instructional material that does NOT
appear to exist.

What can I do, or better yet, where can I find the info that makes this
Just Work(TM)?

Thanks all.

--
Cheers, Gene