2011-06-27 14:57:35

by Thilo Cestonaro

Subject: Re: Support for 0489:e031 Foxconn / Hon Hai

Hey again,

>>As Virtualbox does a direct usb passthrough to the client I could install the bluetooth adapter in windows with the original broadcom bluetooth driver.
>>Once I opened the settings there and "saved" theses, the adapter finds bluetooth devices nicely under windows AND linux.
>>
>>Sadly I have no idea what the broadcom driver did to "activate" the adapter.
>
>So, after a reboot the adapter is back in it's "no I don't want to do anything"-Mode and I have to activate it again via windows.
>
>stop bluetooth daemon
>unload btusb
>boot windows VM with attached Bluetooth Device (boot til the login is visible, is enough)
>dettach BD from Windows
>load btusb
>start bluetooth daemon
>
>Now I can use the adapter as usual.
>So there is definitley some initalization going on in the windows driver.
>
>Any ideas how I can get more information whats going on during boot? Or is disassembling the windows driver the only way?

I still have no idea how I might figure out what is done during the init of the windows driver. Since I need to unload the btusb module so windows can use the device, I have no chance to use hcidump.
Any ideas what I should try?

Ciao
Thilo

2011-06-27 18:26:57

by Peter Hurley

On Mon, 2011-06-27 at 10:57 -0400, [email protected] wrote:
> Hey again,
>
> >>As Virtualbox does a direct usb passthrough to the client I could install the bluetooth adapter in windows with the original broadcom bluetooth driver.
> >>Once I opened the settings there and "saved" theses, the adapter finds bluetooth devices nicely under windows AND linux.
> >>
> >>Sadly I have no idea what the broadcom driver did to "activate" the adapter.
> I still have no idea how I might figure out what is done during the init of the windows driver. Since I need to unload the btusb module so windows can use the device, I have no chance to use hcidump.
> Any ideas what I should try?

There are several decent usb sniffers for windows - although I've never
tried them in a vm. This is a tough route to go though - even with a
complete device capture, separating what's relevant to your problem will
be *very* difficult.

Peter