2009-02-10 10:32:20

by sreevani medhahal

Subject: Regarding bluetooth-testing.git

hi,

I would like to know if bluetooth-testing git repository has all the
fixes for bluetooth modules, following kernel version 2.6.27 . ie., i
want to know if i use linux kernel 2.6.27 & apply all the patches in
bluetooth-testing git ,then will this kernel have all the fixes for
all the known issues(only those issues whose patches were reviewed &
acknowledged by Marcel).
Thanks & Regards,
Sreevani M

2009-02-10 15:35:48

by Marcel Holtmann

Subject: Re: Regarding bluetooth-testing.git

Hi Sreevani,

> I would like to know if bluetooth-testing git repository has all the
> fixes for bluetooth modules, following kernel version 2.6.27 . ie., i
> want to know if i use linux kernel 2.6.27 & apply all the patches in
> bluetooth-testing git ,then will this kernel have all the fixes for
> all the known issues(only those issues whose patches were reviewed &
> acknowledged by Marcel).

depends on what happened between 2.6.27 and 2.6.29-rc4. I would have to
check, but I guess we had additional patches and all patches from
bluetooth-testing.git depend on them. You need to backport the whole
include/net/bluetooth, net/bluetooth and drivers/bluetooth at minimum.
Maybe some extra generic kernel infrastructure if we depend on it.

Regards

Marcel

2009-02-10 12:02:15

by Brian Rogers

sreevani medhahal wrote:
> hi,
>
> I would like to know if bluetooth-testing git repository has all the
> fixes for bluetooth modules, following kernel version 2.6.27 . ie., i
> want to know if i use linux kernel 2.6.27 & apply all the patches in
> bluetooth-testing git ,then will this kernel have all the fixes for
> all the known issues(only those issues whose patches were reviewed &
> acknowledged by Marcel).

If you applied all the patches in bluetooth-testing to your 2.6.27
kernel, you'd have a 2.6.29-rc4 kernel with some additional
Bluetooth-related patches on top of it. Branches in git still contain
all history up to the point they were branched off. Also, if you cut off
anything before the point the branch is based off (2.6.29-rc4), you'd be
excluding any fixes applied between 2.6.27 and 2.6.29-rc4. They can't
appear in the history again because you can't apply the same patch twice.

The following command will be useful to visualize changes since 2.6.27:
gitk bluetooth-testing/master ^v2.6.27 -- net/bluetooth drivers/bluetooth

(or you can pass the same parameters to 'git log')

Not everything is going to apply though, because some changes will
depend on changes in other parts of the kernel that you're skipping by
staying on 2.6.27. You'll probably have to settle for just
cherry-picking the changes you need or running a more recent kernel.