2011-09-27 10:49:09

by Colin Beckingham

Subject: Installation from git did not proceed cleanly?

Hi, a few observations on installation from git repository on a
reasonably fresh install of OpenSUSE 11.4. (Previous installations from
tar.gz have all run correctly first time.)

1. Fetching the clone from the temporary repo not a problem
2. ./configure instruction from README/INSTALL did not work, no
configure found
3. Found a related advice to run: aclocal, autoheaders,automake and
autoconf and ran these
4. repeated automake with --add-missing - this added several programmes
but was not able to deal with missing ltmain.sh
5. I copied ltmain.sh from my previous install of version 4.96, this
allowed configure to proceed a bit further, ran into problems with
"package_revision" number in ltmain, hand edited
6. Also a problem with missing Makefile.in - copied from 4.96 - bad way
to proceed but nothing ventured...
7. ./configure, make, make install all ok from this point.
8. restart of bluez-coldplug service ok.

Result: bluetoothd is working as before. It reports version as 4.96.
However expected patch for previously reported problem still produces
same error, so my install may be bad.

Please advise where I went wrong so that I and others can do it
correctly next time. Any need for additional instructions in INSTALL?
--
---
Colin Beckingham

2011-09-27 11:46:50

by Colin Beckingham

Subject: Re: Installation from git did not proceed cleanly?

On 09/27/2011 07:23 AM, Hendrik Sattler wrote:
> Zitat von Colin Beckingham <[email protected]>:
>
>> Hi, a few observations on installation from git repository on a
>> reasonably fresh install of OpenSUSE 11.4. (Previous installations
>> from tar.gz have all run correctly first time.)
>>
>> 1. Fetching the clone from the temporary repo not a problem
>> 2. ./configure instruction from README/INSTALL did not work, no
>> configure found
>
> That one is called boot-strapping and is the same for many projects
> using autoconf. For convenience reasons, it's done before creating
> tarballs. That's probably the reason you are not used to it.
>
> So to create the configure script (and other files), either run "chmod
> +x bootstrap; ./bootstrap" or just "autoreconf -f -i".

Thanks for this advice. Works no problem.

In an earlier thread "Permission denied (13) on Samsung WEP475 headset?"
I reported an issue. I see that in this latest version it is still
necessary to issue an

hciconfig 0 sspmode 0

before the unit will connect. Not a problem. If this is unexpected
behaviour from the programme I can provide more feedback.

Colin Beckingham

2011-09-27 11:23:32

by Hendrik Sattler

Zitat von Colin Beckingham <[email protected]>:

> Hi, a few observations on installation from git repository on a
> reasonably fresh install of OpenSUSE 11.4. (Previous installations
> from tar.gz have all run correctly first time.)
>
> 1. Fetching the clone from the temporary repo not a problem
> 2. ./configure instruction from README/INSTALL did not work, no
> configure found

That one is called boot-strapping and is the same for many projects
using autoconf. For convenience reasons, it's done before creating
tarballs. That's probably the reason you are not used to it.

So to create the configure script (and other files), either run "chmod
+x bootstrap; ./bootstrap" or just "autoreconf -f -i".

HS