2011-12-08 20:12:41

by mindentropy

Subject: Regarding setting baud rate for RFCOMM.

Hi,

How can I set the baud rate and other tty settings for RFCOMM for data
sending? The receiving application is a windows application which reads at
115200 baud rate via virtual comm port.

Thanks.

2011-12-08 21:09:59

by mindentropy

Subject: Re: Re: Regarding setting baud rate for RFCOMM.

On Thursday 08 Dec 2011 12:42:39 PM Brian Gix wrote:
> Hi mindentropy,
>
> On 12/8/2011 12:12 PM, mindentropy wrote:
> > How can I set the baud rate and other tty settings for RFCOMM for
> > data
> >
> > sending? The receiving application is a windows application which reads
> > at 115200 baud rate via virtual comm port.
>
> Baud rate does not really apply to RFCOMM in bluetooth. Baud rate refers
> to how fast the level shifters on a piece of UART hardware (perhaps
> RS232) transition between one bit to the next, while RFCOMM simply grabs
> data (in the case of bluez, through a pipe or socket) and sends it over
> the BT link at whatever rate the underlying ACL connection currently
> supports, which constantly is changing to based on environmental conditions.
>
> The RFCOMM transport in BT is intended to be a simplified way to migrate
> an existing UART based application to bluetooth.
>
> But in fact, if you were to create a UART abstraction on top of RFCOMM
> which did accept baud rate as a parameter, it would not matter if you
> set the BAUD to 300, 115200, or 921600 -- The data would flow at a rate
> that you would not be able to directly control. Other than that, it
> would generally mimic "classic" RS-232. In other words, you shouldn't
> need to do anything to your Windows App, as long as it is currently able
> to send and receive data via the virtual comm port.

I am slightly confused. I am sending the data in linux according to
http://people.csail.mit.edu/albert/bluez-intro/x502.html

In the windows side I open up hyperterminal and connect on the virtual comm
port @ 115200 baud rate. I don't get any data though. What am I doing wrong?

2011-12-08 20:42:39

by Brian Gix

Subject: Re: Regarding setting baud rate for RFCOMM.

--
Brian Gix
Qualcomm Innovation Center, Inc. is a member of Code Aurora Forum