2012-10-04 13:23:14

by [email protected]

Subject: Using multiple adapters do not work

Dear list,

I want to use a number, say 2, of local bluetooth adapters that each communicate with a single
different bluetooth device. The devices appear as rfcomm devices.
We can communicate with the devices using minicom.

Binding of the 2 adapters in linux:
rfcomm -i hci0 bind /dev/rfcomm1 10:00:E8:6C:D8:14 1
rfcomm -i hci1 bind /dev/rfcomm7 10:00:E8:6C:EC:9E 1
I test with starting minicom for each rfcomm device.
The first minicom invocation works perfectly, but the second (and third ...) gets an error:
minicom: cannot open /dev/rfcomm7: No such file or directory
or sometimes: Permission denied.
(the device exists and is said to be readable by ls -l)
This on 2 machines with up to date kernels 2.6.32-43-generic and 3.2.0-31-generic (ubuntu)

Using only a single adapter in the usual way, using rfcomm.conf, it works perfectly.
That is the way in which the pairing has been done before doing the above tests.

I assumed that the above would work.
What am I doing wrong?

Again, if this is the wrong list, please tell me.

Regards,
Sietse

PS I am using this approach because of problems as described on this list on
October 2-nd in:
Unreliable communication with multiple bluetooth devices and some delay.