2015-05-31 20:32:52

by Kirill Elagin

Subject: Bluez killing Apple Magic Trackpads

Hello,

I like using an Apple Magic Trackpad instead of a mouse but there is a
major inconvenience: they keep dying. Another one just died five
minutes ago, and it is the third to die during the last 1.5 years.
During this period of 1.5 years I switched a number of kernel versions
(having 3.19.1 right now) and Bluez 5 versions (5.25 now). I’m not
sure, it might be that the first one died while I was using Bluez 4.

The first one lasted for three months, the second one was working for
almost a year, and this last one has been with me for a month or two.

I am surprised that I couldn’t find anything about this in Google, so
I decided to ask here, has anyone heard of such a problem? They die
unexpectedly: one day I will try to connect it to my laptop or desktop
and it won’t do anything, and will start blinking its LED in an
unusual manner.

That’s definitely Apple’s fault that their trackpads react this way to
some probably unexpected event, but I just wonder, does anyone have an
idea what might cause this? I don’t know how to diagnose the problem
as they die after random periods of time and become absolutely
unresponsive.

2015-06-01 06:05:42

by Andrejs Hanins

Subject: Re: Bluez killing Apple Magic Trackpads

Hi Kirill,

On 05/31/2015 11:32 PM, Kirill Elagin wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I like using an Apple Magic Trackpad instead of a mouse but there is a
> major inconvenience: they keep dying. Another one just died five
> minutes ago, and it is the third to die during the last 1.5 years.
> During this period of 1.5 years I switched a number of kernel versions
> (having 3.19.1 right now) and Bluez 5 versions (5.25 now). I’m not
> sure, it might be that the first one died while I was using Bluez 4.
>
> The first one lasted for three months, the second one was working for
> almost a year, and this last one has been with me for a month or two.
>
> I am surprised that I couldn’t find anything about this in Google, so
> I decided to ask here, has anyone heard of such a problem? They die
> unexpectedly: one day I will try to connect it to my laptop or desktop
> and it won’t do anything, and will start blinking its LED in an
> unusual manner.
Just FYI: I've been using Apple Bluetooth Keyboard and Magic Trackpad for
a year or so on Ubuntu, no any problems. Usage is on daily basis.