2015-08-06 21:31:12

by Andrejs Hanins

Subject: Notifications and CCC descriptor handling for Gatt server

Hi,

I have a Gatt server over D-Bus with "notify" characteristic exported and I listen to Start/StopNotify methods. But I can't get my head around the logic of Start/StopNotify methods in case of multiple Gatt clients connecting to the service (not in the same time, of course):
1. Client A connects and enables notifications, StartNotify is called - this is fine.
2. Client B connects and enables notifications, then StartNotify is called again - is it expected? Does it mean notifications state is per-client and external Gatt server needs to know the currently connected client and associate some state with it?
3. Client A connects again and disables notifications, StopNotify is not called. This is strange and goes against the logic in item 2.
4. Client B connects and disables notifications, StopNotify is called.

So, how is it supposed to work? Maybe there is a bug somewhere?
BlueZ 5.32 used.

BR, Andrey

2015-08-12 06:16:01

by Andrejs Hanins

Hi,

On 08/09/2015 06:13 PM, Luiz Augusto von Dentz wrote:
> Hi Andrejs,
>
> On Fri, Aug 7, 2015 at 12:31 AM, Andrejs Hanins <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a Gatt server over D-Bus with "notify" characteristic exported and I listen to Start/StopNotify methods. But I can't get my head around the logic of Start/StopNotify methods in case of multiple Gatt clients connecting to the service (not in the same time, of course):
>> 1. Client A connects and enables notifications, StartNotify is called - this is fine.
>> 2. Client B connects and enables notifications, then StartNotify is called again - is it expected? Does it mean notifications state is per-client and external Gatt server needs to know the currently connected client and associate some state with it?
>
> This is probably a bug, bluetoothd shall only call StartNotification
> once, it shall also call StopNotification if there no client
> connected.
So, should I create a bug report?

>> 3. Client A connects again and disables notifications, StopNotify is not called. This is strange and goes against the logic in item 2.
>
> It shall only call StopNotify if it is the last client, otherwise this is ok.
>
>> 4. Client B connects and disables notifications, StopNotify is called.
>
> That is probably fine, it both StartNotify and StopNotify shall only
> be called once.
>
>> So, how is it supposed to work? Maybe there is a bug somewhere?
>> BlueZ 5.32 used.
>>
>> BR, Andrey
>> --
>> the body of a message to [email protected]

by Luiz Augusto von Dentz