2015-09-06 14:23:15

by Kyle Shneider

Subject: iOS 8 can't discover device

Hello again.

I'm testing bluez 5.33 on raspberry pi. After successfully launching
bluetoothd, powering hci-device up and setting it 'Discoverable' (done
through DBus API) iPad mini can't see it. In other way shitty android
4.1.1 tablet finds raspberry in a moment.
Have i missed something?
Did anyone have successful experience of pairing apple devices and
latest versions of bluez?
BTW ble adapter: cambridge silicon radio.

--
Kyle Shneider

2015-09-30 17:43:41

by Kyle Shneider

Subject: Re: iOS 8 can't discover device

> Hi,
>
> On 09/07/2015 07:47 PM, Kyle Shneider wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Kyle,

>>> iOS will only show you devices which implement at least one of the Bluetooth profiles supported by iOS (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204387).
>>> So you need to have appropriate SDP record with supported profile. I would suggest to start with org.bluez.ProfileManager1 D-Bus interface.
>>>>

>> Thanks for the answer Andrejs.
>> I don't understand. What about GATT profile?
> I think, it is the same - you need to advertise a service supported by iOS in order for the BLE device to appear in standard iOS Bluetooth device list. However, if you write your own app, there is an access to all BLE devices seen around.
> Can iOS device initialize
>> pairing via GATT profile?
> Yes. It worked for me when I tried something like kernel 3.19 and BlueZ 5.32 or so. I was using LightBlue app for my testing.

So after installing latest kernel 4.1.8 problem doesn't solved for me.
On raspberry i launch:
- bluetoothd -nE
- bluez-5.34/test/test-gatt-profile
- bluez-5.34/test/example-gatt-server
- bluez-5.34/test/simple-agent

Neither iOS LightBlue application can't see raspberry nor Android BLE
scanner. Have i missed something?

--
Kyle Shneider

2015-09-08 05:47:30

by Andrejs Hanins

Hi,

On 09/07/2015 07:47 PM, Kyle Shneider wrote:

>> Hi Kyle,
>>
>> On 09/06/2015 05:23 PM, Kyle Shneider wrote:
>>> Hello again.
>>>
>>> I'm testing bluez 5.33 on raspberry pi. After successfully launching
>>> bluetoothd, powering hci-device up and setting it 'Discoverable' (done
>>> through DBus API) iPad mini can't see it. In other way shitty android
>>> 4.1.1 tablet finds raspberry in a moment.
>>> Have i missed something?
>> iOS will only show you devices which implement at least one of the Bluetooth profiles supported by iOS (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204387).
>> So you need to have appropriate SDP record with supported profile. I would suggest to start with org.bluez.ProfileManager1 D-Bus interface.
>>> Did anyone have successful experience of pairing apple devices and
>>> latest versions of bluez?
>>> BTW ble adapter: cambridge silicon radio.
>>>

> Thanks for the answer Andrejs.
> I don't understand. What about GATT profile?
I think, it is the same - you need to advertise a service supported by iOS in order for the BLE device to appear in standard iOS Bluetooth device list. However, if you write your own app, there is an access to all BLE devices seen around.
Can iOS device initialize
> pairing via GATT profile?
Yes. It worked for me when I tried something like kernel 3.19 and BlueZ 5.32 or so. I was using LightBlue app for my testing.

2015-09-07 16:47:12

by Kyle Shneider

> Hi Kyle,
>
> On 09/06/2015 05:23 PM, Kyle Shneider wrote:
> > Hello again.
> >
> > I'm testing bluez 5.33 on raspberry pi. After successfully launching
> > bluetoothd, powering hci-device up and setting it 'Discoverable' (done
> > through DBus API) iPad mini can't see it. In other way shitty android
> > 4.1.1 tablet finds raspberry in a moment.
> > Have i missed something?
> iOS will only show you devices which implement at least one of the Bluetooth profiles supported by iOS (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204387).
> So you need to have appropriate SDP record with supported profile. I would suggest to start with org.bluez.ProfileManager1 D-Bus interface.
> > Did anyone have successful experience of pairing apple devices and
> > latest versions of bluez?
> > BTW ble adapter: cambridge silicon radio.

Thanks for the answer Andrejs.
I don't understand. What about GATT profile? Can iOS device initialize
pairing via GATT profile?

--
Kyle Shneider

2015-09-07 07:25:46

by Andrejs Hanins

Hi Kyle,

On 09/06/2015 05:23 PM, Kyle Shneider wrote:
> Hello again.
>
> I'm testing bluez 5.33 on raspberry pi. After successfully launching
> bluetoothd, powering hci-device up and setting it 'Discoverable' (done
> through DBus API) iPad mini can't see it. In other way shitty android
> 4.1.1 tablet finds raspberry in a moment.
> Have i missed something?
iOS will only show you devices which implement at least one of the Bluetooth profiles supported by iOS (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204387).
So you need to have appropriate SDP record with supported profile. I would suggest to start with org.bluez.ProfileManager1 D-Bus interface.
> Did anyone have successful experience of pairing apple devices and
> latest versions of bluez?
> BTW ble adapter: cambridge silicon radio.

2015-10-03 20:55:20

by Luiz Augusto von Dentz

Hi Kyle,

On Sat, Oct 3, 2015 at 7:06 PM, Kyle Shneider <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Hi,

>>> Thanks for the answer Andrejs.
>>> I don't understand. What about GATT profile?
>> I think, it is the same - you need to advertise a service supported by iOS in order for the BLE device to appear in standard iOS Bluetooth device list. However, if you write your own app, there is an access to all BLE devices seen around.
>> Can iOS device initialize
>>> pairing via GATT profile?
>> Yes. It worked for me when I tried something like kernel 3.19 and BlueZ 5.32 or so. I was using LightBlue app for my testing.
>>>

> So after installing latest kernel 4.1.8 problem doesn't solved for me.
> On raspberry i launch:
> - bluetoothd -nE
> - bluez-5.34/test/test-gatt-profile
> - bluez-5.34/test/example-gatt-server
> - bluez-5.34/test/simple-agent
>
> Neither iOS LightBlue application can't see raspberry nor Android BLE
> scanner. Have i missed something?

Have you tried example-advertising? iirc we are not adding any name to
scan response thus it might show with just the address.

--
Luiz Augusto von Dentz

2015-10-03 16:06:05

by Kyle Shneider