2019-12-20 04:49:21

by Eugene Lavrenov

Subject: Bluez - sixaxis connectivity issue

Hello everyone,

I have discovered a strange problem with Bluez. I have two Sony PS3 clone devices, which I tried to connect to LEGO EV3 (slow ARM device) powered by EV3DEV (ev3dev.org), which is a Debian-based OS. I used a Debian-buster version (oss.jfrog.org/list/oss-snapshot-local/org/ev3dev/brickstrap/2019-09-08/snapshot-ev3dev-buster-ev3-generic-2019-09-08.img.xz) that includes Bluez 5.50

It became possible to connect Sony PS3 clone devices after the following change was added:
git.kernel.org/pub/scm/bluetooth/bluez.git/commit/?h=5.48&id=1629c39ededef07988a5403b27331e0e317f1e08

When I attempted to connect a single PS3 device, it didn't connect. However, when I tried to connect both devices at the same time one of them was connected, while another one didn't. The problem occurs each time when I attempted to connect these PS3 devices. It is shown in the attached "ev3-bluetoothd-log.txt" file. Here device 05:F3:77:B5:63:25 unsuccessfully attempted to connects until a second device 06:2A:94:A0:63:25 attempted to connect at the same time (line 35). Then device 05:F3:77:B5:63:25 successfully connected (line 41), while device 06:2A:94:A0:63:25 kept trying to connect without any luck.

I tried to connect these devices to a laptop with Ubuntu and the same version of Bluez 5.50. They connect without any problem. See attached "ubuntu-bluetoothd-log.txt".

I would probably add more debug messages to see what exactly is going on, but I don't have much experience of compiling such projects in Linux. A Bluez package that I built and installed myself on LEGO EV3 device using these instructions: git.kernel.org/pub/scm/bluetooth/bluez.git/about/ doesn't work.

I am wondering whether anyone can take a look and help with this problem? I can definitely assist with testing or recording more logs if needed. Solving this problem will allow many kids around the world to connect inexpensive Sony PS3 clone controllers to LEGO EV3 robots.

Many thanks,
Eugene

Attachments:
ubuntu-bluetoothd-log.txt (2.08 kB)
ev3-bluetoothd-log.txt (10.54 kB)

by Szymon Janc

Subject: Re: Bluez - sixaxis connectivity issue

Hi,

On Friday, 20 December 2019 05:48:08 CET Eugene Lavrenov wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I have discovered a strange problem with Bluez. I have two Sony PS3 clone
> devices, which I tried to connect to LEGO EV3 (slow ARM device) powered by
> EV3DEV (ev3dev.org), which is a Debian-based OS. I used a Debian-buster
> version
> (oss.jfrog.org/list/oss-snapshot-local/org/ev3dev/brickstrap/2019-09-08/sna
> pshot-ev3dev-buster-ev3-generic-2019-09-08.img.xz) that includes Bluez 5.50
>
> It became possible to connect Sony PS3 clone devices after the following
> change was added:
> git.kernel.org/pub/scm/bluetooth/bluez.git/commit/?h=5.48&id=1629c39ededef0
> 7988a5403b27331e0e317f1e08
>
> When I attempted to connect a single PS3 device, it didn't connect. However,
> when I tried to connect both devices at the same time one of them was
> connected, while another one didn't. The problem occurs each time when I
> attempted to connect these PS3 devices. It is shown in the attached
> "ev3-bluetoothd-log.txt" file. Here device 05:F3:77:B5:63:25 unsuccessfully
> attempted to connects until a second device 06:2A:94:A0:63:25 attempted to
> connect at the same time (line 35). Then device 05:F3:77:B5:63:25
> successfully connected (line 41), while device 06:2A:94:A0:63:25 kept
> trying to connect without any luck.
>
> I tried to connect these devices to a laptop with Ubuntu and the same
> version of Bluez 5.50. They connect without any problem. See attached
> "ubuntu-bluetoothd-log.txt".
>
> I would probably add more debug messages to see what exactly is going on,
> but I don't have much experience of compiling such projects in Linux. A
> Bluez package that I built and installed myself on LEGO EV3 device using
> these instructions: git.kernel.org/pub/scm/bluetooth/bluez.git/about/
> doesn't work.
>
> I am wondering whether anyone can take a look and help with this problem? I
> can definitely assist with testing or recording more logs if needed.
> Solving this problem will allow many kids around the world to connect
> inexpensive Sony PS3 clone controllers to LEGO EV3 robots.

My first guess would be that sixaxis plugin isn't loaded.

Could you provide full bluetoothd log on ev3? One that would include pluging
in DS3 via USB and then connection attempt over BT (preferably from bluetoothd
start).

If plugin is loaded, would be good to grab btmon traces from connection
attempt.

--
pozdrawiam
Szymon Janc