2023-08-02 13:52:17

by Jérôme Carretero

Subject: Puzzling software regression (flaky device control, scanning issues, scan filter?)

Hi there,

There is something wrong with my software stack or configuration and so
far I can't put my finger on it. This probably has been going on for a
few months. I found a way to express my issue as follows.

When I am running a Fedora Live virtual machine with my bluetooth
dongle shared with it, it runs the following software:
- Linux 6.2.9-300.fc38.x86_64;
- bluez Version 5.66;
- linux-firmware providing intel/ibt-17-16-1.sfi version 108-45.22;

And I can use bluetoothctl and issue "power on", "scan on", "scan off",
"power off" at will, and successfully discover/connect/pair a bluetooth
mouse. That's a working configuration.

In my regular software environment I'm running:
- Linux 6.3.13;
- bluez Version 5.66 or 5.68, I've tried both; the configuration files
are unmodified from defaults (Gentoo package, there are a few
distribution patches but nothing);
- the same linux-firmware blob (I had tried older revisions before
checking the VM idea);
- nothing else than me using the bluetooth dbus interface or command-
line tools;

And when using bluetoothctl "the first time", I can issue "power on",
"power off", "scan on" doesn't seem to work fully, and "scan off" says:
Failed to stop discovery: org.bluez.Error.InProgress
And a subsequent "scan on" says:
Failed to start discovery: org.bluez.Error.InProgress

But `hcitool scan` works and shows my mouse.

And in `bluetoothctl` if I fiddle with scan options then scan results
will show my mouse and I can use it ("clear uuids", "clear rssi", and
reapply an rssi filter to not get a gazillion advertisments because I'm
in the city), but it's not clear to me why scan is not originally
working.

I hadn't been able to connect my wireless headseat for weeks, so I was
living wireless-less, but my 20 year old wired mouse started
misclicking and I felt like making the rediscovered 10 year old
wireless one work, and after banging my head on the problem I found
that the VM configuration worked, and iscovered about these scan
filters yesterday, and managed to pair with the mouse.

So I have a workaround, but I'm wondering if someone could help me
understand or diagnose this problem further.

Best regards,

--
Jérôme