2008-07-31 11:10:09

by Kasper Revsbech

Subject: How to set packet type and how to see which packet type is in use ?

Hi
I am trying to compare some different Bluetooth setup. Doing that I
would like to try with different baseband packet types.
So far I have been trying in two scenarios using hciconfig hci0 ptype
<type> and that seems to work, at least in the case where I am using
RFCOMM sockets for communication. But judging from the transfer rate it
does not seem to work using a PAND/BNEP setup. This leads to the
following questions:

- How can I observe the currently uses packet type? I have been trying
with hcidump and even parsed it with wireshark but can't really find the
identifier that identifies witch packet type currently is in use.

- Can I by somehow set the packettype using setsocktop() on a rfcomm
socket ? I have been look to find documentation on the content of the
sockopt struc used but can't really find any. I have also tried looking
in the code but can't figure out how to manipulate the packet type else
that using hciconfig

Thanks
Kasper Revsbech

2008-07-31 13:42:53

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Kasper,

> I am trying to compare some different Bluetooth setup. Doing that I
> would like to try with different baseband packet types.
> So far I have been trying in two scenarios using hciconfig hci0
> ptype <type> and that seems to work, at least in the case where I am
> using RFCOMM sockets for communication. But judging from the
> transfer rate it does not seem to work using a PAND/BNEP setup. This
> leads to the following questions:
>
> - How can I observe the currently uses packet type? I have been
> trying with hcidump and even parsed it with wireshark but can't
> really find the identifier that identifies witch packet type
> currently is in use.

you can't since that is the job of the link manager and not the host
stack.

> - Can I by somehow set the packettype using setsocktop() on a rfcomm
> socket ? I have been look to find documentation on the content of
> the sockopt struc used but can't really find any. I have also tried
> looking in the code but can't figure out how to manipulate the
> packet type else that using hciconfig

Don't mess around with packet types. Really, I mean it, don't. Leave
the default and leave the rest up to the link manager.

Regards

Marcel