2010-05-20 13:04:02

by Alexander Orlenko

Subject: [GSoC'10] : New Command Line Tool(s) for bluez

Hi everyone,

My name is Alexander Orlenko, I am a GSoC student of this year. I am
doing a project "bluez-tools",
http://hostisdown.org/gsoc/projects/bluez-tools (a little more info
about the project). I need some feedback about what approach should I
take.

I'm from Russia, Khabarovsk. This is my first GSoC project.

2010-05-21 07:29:41

by Andrei Emeltchenko

Subject: Re: [GSoC'10] : New Command Line Tool(s) for bluez

On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 4:08 PM, Bastien Nocera <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-05-21 at 00:04 +1100, Alexander Orlenko wrote:
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> My name is Alexander Orlenko, I am a GSoC student of this year. I am
>> doing a project "bluez-tools",
>> http://hostisdown.org/gsoc/projects/bluez-tools (a little more info
>> about the project). I need some feedback about what approach should I
>> take.
>
> I'm not sure whether you'd be interested, but you could base your code
> on the non-GTK parts of libgnome-bluetooth, which already implements a
> number of those things, and would just need to be wrapped up.

There is also python code in bluez/test repository.

-- Andrei

> Cheers

> More majordomo info at ?http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html

2010-05-20 13:08:38

by Bastien Nocera

On Fri, 2010-05-21 at 00:04 +1100, Alexander Orlenko wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> My name is Alexander Orlenko, I am a GSoC student of this year. I am
> doing a project "bluez-tools",
> http://hostisdown.org/gsoc/projects/bluez-tools (a little more info
> about the project). I need some feedback about what approach should I
> take.

I'm not sure whether you'd be interested, but you could base your code
on the non-GTK parts of libgnome-bluetooth, which already implements a
number of those things, and would just need to be wrapped up.

Cheers

2010-08-17 08:16:26

by alok barsode

Hey Gustavo,

On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 10:25 AM, Alexander Orlenko <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Why have you decided to write a binary for each functionality? What do
>> you think about have them all in only one binary? (or at least the
>> bluetoothd related ones)
>
> My mentor (Alok Barsode) advised to write different tools for
> different functionality. I originally wanted to write a one utility
> for all. At the beginning of the project, I asked the opinions what
> should I choose (a one binary or some binaries). But almost no one
> responded.

I had proposed different binaries so that we don't bloat up a single
binary. Also with a lot of
command line options its easy to have separate binaries. Other wise
the cmd line options would be huge. I think is the same reason why the
python scripts tests/ are separate and not put in 1 script.

Cheers,
Alok.

> On 17 August 2010 14:59, Gustavo F. Padovan <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Hi Alexander,
>>
>> * Alexander Orlenko <[email protected]> [2010-08-16 10:24:23 +1100]:
>>
>>> Hi everyone,
>>>
>>> I updated project info page at http://hostisdown.org/gsoc/projects/bluez-tools
>>> Created project home page: http://code.google.com/p/bluez-tools
>>> Current release available for download: 0.1.18-6432
>>>
>>> Code of my project does not based on non-GTK parts of
>>> libgnome-bluetooth. I wrote glib gobjects for all bluez dbus
>>> interfaces.
>>> I will continue developing my project after end of GSoC.
>>
>> Why have you decided to write a binary for each functionality? What do
>> you think about have them all in only one binary? (or at least the
>> bluetoothd related ones)
>>

>> --
>> Gustavo F. Padovan
>> http://padovan.org

> More majordomo info at ?http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html

2010-08-17 04:55:27

by Alexander Orlenko

> Why have you decided to write a binary for each functionality? What do
> you think about have them all in only one binary? (or at least the
> bluetoothd related ones)

My mentor (Alok Barsode) advised to write different tools for
different functionality. I originally wanted to write a one utility
for all. At the beginning of the project, I asked the opinions what
should I choose (a one binary or some binaries). But almost no one
responded.

On 17 August 2010 14:59, Gustavo F. Padovan <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi Alexander,
>
> * Alexander Orlenko <[email protected]> [2010-08-16 10:24:23 +1100]:
>
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> I updated project info page at http://hostisdown.org/gsoc/projects/bluez-tools
>> Created project home page: http://code.google.com/p/bluez-tools
>> Current release available for download: 0.1.18-6432
>>
>> Code of my project does not based on non-GTK parts of
>> libgnome-bluetooth. I wrote glib gobjects for all bluez dbus
>> interfaces.
>> I will continue developing my project after end of GSoC.
>
> Why have you decided to write a binary for each functionality? What do
> you think about have them all in only one binary? (or at least the
> bluetoothd related ones)
>

> --
> Gustavo F. Padovan
> http://padovan.org

2010-08-17 03:59:21

by Gustavo Padovan

Hi Alexander,

* Alexander Orlenko <[email protected]> [2010-08-16 10:24:23 +1100]:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I updated project info page at http://hostisdown.org/gsoc/projects/bluez-tools
> Created project home page: http://code.google.com/p/bluez-tools
> Current release available for download: 0.1.18-6432
>
> Code of my project does not based on non-GTK parts of
> libgnome-bluetooth. I wrote glib gobjects for all bluez dbus
> interfaces.
> I will continue developing my project after end of GSoC.

Why have you decided to write a binary for each functionality? What do
you think about have them all in only one binary? (or at least the
bluetoothd related ones)

--
Gustavo F. Padovan
http://padovan.org

2010-08-17 03:27:09

by Gustavo Padovan

Hi,

* Bastien Nocera <[email protected]> [2010-08-16 10:40:53 +0100]:

> On Mon, 2010-08-16 at 10:24 +1100, Alexander Orlenko wrote:
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > I updated project info page at http://hostisdown.org/gsoc/projects/bluez-tools
> > Created project home page: http://code.google.com/p/bluez-tools
> > Current release available for download: 0.1.18-6432
> >
> > Code of my project does not based on non-GTK parts of
> > libgnome-bluetooth. I wrote glib gobjects for all bluez dbus
> > interfaces.
>
> Shame, but I won't hold you against that :)
>
> > I will continue developing my project after end of GSoC.
>
> Hopefully people will package it for distributions so we don't get as
> many requests for command-line pairing agents :)

What about put this inside the bluez source instead of keeping it
separated? I think it's a good a idea ship this together with
bluetoothd.

--
Gustavo F. Padovan
http://padovan.org

2010-08-16 13:35:09

by alok barsode

Hi Alexander,

On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 5:36 PM, Alexander Orlenko <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Shame, but I won't hold you against that :)

Its a lil joke ;) Bastien maintains (iirc) the gnome-bluetooth project.
No hard feelings ( I hope:) )

> Why? I wrote tool to generate gobjects from bluez/obexd doc api files.
> And my implementation has methods for easy properties access and
> supports properties caching (for example), and some others features.
>
> On 16 August 2010 20:40, Bastien Nocera <[email protected]> wrote:
>> On Mon, 2010-08-16 at 10:24 +1100, Alexander Orlenko wrote:
>>> Hi everyone,
>>>
>>> I updated project info page at http://hostisdown.org/gsoc/projects/bluez-tools
>>> Created project home page: http://code.google.com/p/bluez-tools
>>> Current release available for download: 0.1.18-6432
>>>
>>> Code of my project does not based on non-GTK parts of
>>> libgnome-bluetooth. I wrote glib gobjects for all bluez dbus
>>> interfaces.
>>
>> Shame, but I won't hold you against that :)
>>
>>> I will continue developing my project after end of GSoC.
>>
>> Hopefully people will package it for distributions so we don't get as
>> many requests for command-line pairing agents :)
>>
>> Cheers

> More majordomo info at ?http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html

Cheers,
Alok.

2010-08-16 12:06:40

by Alexander Orlenko

> Shame, but I won't hold you against that :)
Why? I wrote tool to generate gobjects from bluez/obexd doc api files.
And my implementation has methods for easy properties access and
supports properties caching (for example), and some others features.

On 16 August 2010 20:40, Bastien Nocera <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-08-16 at 10:24 +1100, Alexander Orlenko wrote:
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> I updated project info page at http://hostisdown.org/gsoc/projects/bluez-tools
>> Created project home page: http://code.google.com/p/bluez-tools
>> Current release available for download: 0.1.18-6432
>>
>> Code of my project does not based on non-GTK parts of
>> libgnome-bluetooth. I wrote glib gobjects for all bluez dbus
>> interfaces.
>
> Shame, but I won't hold you against that :)
>
>> I will continue developing my project after end of GSoC.
>
> Hopefully people will package it for distributions so we don't get as
> many requests for command-line pairing agents :)
>
> Cheers

2010-08-16 09:40:53

by Bastien Nocera

On Mon, 2010-08-16 at 10:24 +1100, Alexander Orlenko wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I updated project info page at http://hostisdown.org/gsoc/projects/bluez-tools
> Created project home page: http://code.google.com/p/bluez-tools
> Current release available for download: 0.1.18-6432
>
> Code of my project does not based on non-GTK parts of
> libgnome-bluetooth. I wrote glib gobjects for all bluez dbus
> interfaces.

Shame, but I won't hold you against that :)

> I will continue developing my project after end of GSoC.

Hopefully people will package it for distributions so we don't get as
many requests for command-line pairing agents :)

Cheers

2010-08-15 23:24:23

by Alexander Orlenko

Hi everyone,

I updated project info page at http://hostisdown.org/gsoc/projects/bluez-tools
Created project home page: http://code.google.com/p/bluez-tools
Current release available for download: 0.1.18-6432

Code of my project does not based on non-GTK parts of
libgnome-bluetooth. I wrote glib gobjects for all bluez dbus
interfaces.
I will continue developing my project after end of GSoC.