2015-05-10 23:48:52

by Ankur Patel

Subject: LE only Mode: PICS reference

Hello Folks,

I am new to the BT LE and pls bare with me if I ask some silly questions. Thank you for support.

I am now using 3.18.12 Linux kernel and Bluez 5.30 version on board. Our product requirement is to support only LE modes. To create PICS for host system using bluez, do I have to take http://git.kernel.org/cgit/bluetooth/bluez.git/tree/android/pics-gap.txt as a reference for selecting the configuration?
If yes, then in that case, why it has Broadcaster and Observer selected to 'False' under line#150-151 in pics-gap.txt as bluez does supports Central/Broadcaster/Observer LE roles as mentioned under bluez-5.30/doc/supported-features.txt?

Inaddition, I am having some issue running the testcase TC_IDLE_NAMP_BV_02_C. pts-gts.txt says: "btmgmt advertising on" should work, but it is not working on my side.

Following Log info:
Test case : TC_IDLE_NAMP_BV_02_C started
- MTC: Successfully received HCI_LE_CLEAR_WHITE_LIST_COMPLETE_EVENT.
- MTC: Successfully received HCI_LE_ADD_DEVICE_TO_WHITE_LIST_COMPLETE_EVENT.
- MTC: Successfully received HCI_LE_SET_SCAN_PARAMETERS_COMPLETE_EVENT.
- MTC: Successfully received HCI_LE_SET_SCAN_ENABLE_COMPLETE_EVENT.
- MTC: Receive Advertising report successfully.
- MTC: Successfully received HCI_LE_SET_SCAN_ENABLE_COMPLETE_EVENT.
- MTC: ATT connection established successfully.
- MTC-INCONC: Error returned in ATT_READ_BY_TYPE_CFM.
- CM_EXIT
- CM_EXIT
- CM_EXIT
- CM_EXIT
- MTC: Test case ended
-Final Verdict: INCONC
TC_IDLE_NAMP_BV_02_C finished

- Prior to running above command I have also set name using command 'btmgmt name test_dev'. Do I need to run more commands to it?

Thank you,
Ankur.

2015-05-12 00:33:19

by Ankur Patel

Subject: RE: LE only Mode: PICS reference

> [...]
> > - MTC: Successfully received
> HCI_LE_SET_SCAN_ENABLE_COMPLETE_EVENT.
> > - MTC: Receive Advertising report successfully.
> > - MTC: Successfully received
> HCI_LE_SET_SCAN_ENABLE_COMPLETE_EVENT.
> > - MTC: ATT connection established successfully.
> > - MTC-INCONC: Error returned in ATT_READ_BY_TYPE_CFM.
> > - CM_EXIT
> > - CM_EXIT
> > - CM_EXIT
> > - CM_EXIT
> > - MTC: Test case ended
> > -Final Verdict: INCONC
> > TC_IDLE_NAMP_BV_02_C finished
> >
> > - Prior to running above command I have also set name using
> command 'btmgmt name test_dev'. Do I need to run more commands to it?
>=20
> The name also needs to be available via a GAP characteristic. Normally
> running bluetoothd will do that for you. But if you do that manually, the=

@Marcel @Luiz: Appreciate your help. Let me do some homework. I am looking =
forward to create similar documentation as available for android.=20

Regards,
Ankur

2015-05-11 13:24:53

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Ankur,

> I am new to the BT LE and pls bare with me if I ask some silly questions. Thank you for support.
>
> I am now using 3.18.12 Linux kernel and Bluez 5.30 version on board. Our product requirement is to support only LE modes. To create PICS for host system using bluez, do I have to take http://git.kernel.org/cgit/bluetooth/bluez.git/tree/android/pics-gap.txt as a reference for selecting the configuration?
> If yes, then in that case, why it has Broadcaster and Observer selected to 'False' under line#150-151 in pics-gap.txt as bluez does supports Central/Broadcaster/Observer LE roles as mentioned under bluez-5.30/doc/supported-features.txt?

the main focus is central and peripheral role when it comes to Android. The broadcaster and observer roles are connectionless and not much in use.

You can select them in the PICS and qualify BlueZ as broadcaster and observer only, but then a lot of the settings need to be chosen correctly. In addition bluetoothd will not be of much help since that is build for central and peripheral roles.

> Inaddition, I am having some issue running the testcase TC_IDLE_NAMP_BV_02_C. pts-gts.txt says: "btmgmt advertising on" should work, but it is not working on my side.
>
> Following Log info:
> Test case : TC_IDLE_NAMP_BV_02_C started
> - MTC: Successfully received HCI_LE_CLEAR_WHITE_LIST_COMPLETE_EVENT.
> - MTC: Successfully received HCI_LE_ADD_DEVICE_TO_WHITE_LIST_COMPLETE_EVENT.
> - MTC: Successfully received HCI_LE_SET_SCAN_PARAMETERS_COMPLETE_EVENT.
> - MTC: Successfully received HCI_LE_SET_SCAN_ENABLE_COMPLETE_EVENT.
> - MTC: Receive Advertising report successfully.
> - MTC: Successfully received HCI_LE_SET_SCAN_ENABLE_COMPLETE_EVENT.
> - MTC: ATT connection established successfully.
> - MTC-INCONC: Error returned in ATT_READ_BY_TYPE_CFM.
> - CM_EXIT
> - CM_EXIT
> - CM_EXIT
> - CM_EXIT
> - MTC: Test case ended
> -Final Verdict: INCONC
> TC_IDLE_NAMP_BV_02_C finished
>
> - Prior to running above command I have also set name using command 'btmgmt name test_dev'. Do I need to run more commands to it?

The name also needs to be available via a GAP characteristic. Normally running bluetoothd will do that for you. But if you do that manually, then need to register the GAP services.

Regards

Marcel

2015-05-11 07:58:06

by Luiz Augusto von Dentz

Hi Ankur,

On Mon, May 11, 2015 at 2:48 AM, Ankur Patel <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hello Folks,
>
> I am new to the BT LE and pls bare with me if I ask some silly questions. Thank you for support.
>
> I am now using 3.18.12 Linux kernel and Bluez 5.30 version on board. Our product requirement is to support only LE modes. To create PICS for host system using bluez, do I have to take http://git.kernel.org/cgit/bluetooth/bluez.git/tree/android/pics-gap.txt as a reference for selecting the configuration?
> If yes, then in that case, why it has Broadcaster and Observer selected to 'False' under line#150-151 in pics-gap.txt as bluez does supports Central/Broadcaster/Observer LE roles as mentioned under bluez-5.30/doc/supported-features.txt?

The BlueZ for Android PICS is for Android only, you can take a look
just for reference but the D-Bus API works quite differently. We might
in future have similar notes for BlueZ, any help here is of course
welcome.

> Inaddition, I am having some issue running the testcase TC_IDLE_NAMP_BV_02_C. pts-gts.txt says: "btmgmt advertising on" should work, but it is not working on my side.
>
> Following Log info:
> Test case : TC_IDLE_NAMP_BV_02_C started
> - MTC: Successfully received HCI_LE_CLEAR_WHITE_LIST_COMPLETE_EVENT.
> - MTC: Successfully received HCI_LE_ADD_DEVICE_TO_WHITE_LIST_COMPLETE_EVENT.
> - MTC: Successfully received HCI_LE_SET_SCAN_PARAMETERS_COMPLETE_EVENT.
> - MTC: Successfully received HCI_LE_SET_SCAN_ENABLE_COMPLETE_EVENT.
> - MTC: Receive Advertising report successfully.
> - MTC: Successfully received HCI_LE_SET_SCAN_ENABLE_COMPLETE_EVENT.
> - MTC: ATT connection established successfully.
> - MTC-INCONC: Error returned in ATT_READ_BY_TYPE_CFM.

This probably means it is trying to read the primary/secondary
services so you will probably need to register a few services, you can
use:

https://git.kernel.org/cgit/bluetooth/bluez.git/tree/test/example-gatt-server