2020-05-26 18:02:24

by Christopher de Vidal

Subject: UUIDs for every single physical peripheral's service and characteristics?

Help a newbie? I'm seeking to build a niche product for sale, a
Raspberry Pi-based device which during the initial setup acts a BLE
peripheral. (Python using dbus to Bluez.) It has a single service and
19 characteristics. I get that the first "U" in UUID stands for
unique. Must that be unique among each physical product, or may it be
unique among the product line?

So if I sell 1,000 units (which would be a success), would I need to
obtain 1,000 service UUIDs and 19,000 characteristic UUIDs? Or just 20
total, for the entire product line?

The goal is so that the iOS/Android app can have that pre-set in the
code and quickly discover the device, pair it automagically.

I suppose the risk is of a conflict of two similar devices which are
in the same vicinity of the phone, and both set into peripheral mode
at the same time. But that would be a minimal risk which I could
accommodate for.

Christopher de Vidal

Would you consider yourself a good person? Have you ever taken the
'Good Person' test? It's a fascinating five minute quiz. Google it.