2016-02-27 00:08:15

by Chris Jackson

Subject: Receiving BLE advertisements over DBus

Is it possible to receive BLE advertisements over the DBus interface - if so, how?

I suspect that the answer is that it’s not currently possible - is there any plans to add such support? It seems that this is something that is becoming more necessary as the number of devices sending data in the discovery packet increases…

Any information on this would be appreciated - if necessary I’d be happy to look at implementing something if the BlueZ architects can comment on a recommended approach.

Thanks
Chris

2016-02-28 20:53:38

by Barry Byford

Subject: Re: Receiving BLE advertisements over DBus

Hello Chris,

On 27 February 2016 at 00:08, Chris Jackson <[email protected]> wrote:
> Is it possible to receive BLE advertisements over the DBus interface - if so, how?
>
> I suspect that the answer is that it’s not currently possible - is there any plans to add such support? It seems that this is something that is becoming more necessary as the number of devices sending data in the discovery packet increases…
>
> Any information on this would be appreciated - if necessary I’d be happy to look at implementing something if the BlueZ architects can comment on a recommended approach.
>
> Thanks
> Chris--

Are you talking about getting the data from beacons that are doing
non-connectable advertising?
I'm sure Johan will correct me if I'm wrong but I think this is what
he has recently fixed.
I believe there have been a problem with this in 5.37 and before.
Although this should now be fixed by this commit:
http://git.kernel.org/cgit/bluetooth/bluez.git/commit/?id=43657d77037302268b6ef02724c66eda416cf3e7
The beacons in tools have also been corrected:
http://git.kernel.org/cgit/bluetooth/bluez.git/commit/?id=42d1c2f0ba790e8a2050d5fcf8b45e0c563776ef

Regards,
Barry