2017-05-24 22:28:11

by Josh Van Tol

Subject: Questions about GATT server example in /test/example-gatt-server.py - Generice access service can't be overidden

I'm trying to build a custom device using BlueZ, and have been using
the examples and tests that are included with BlueZ as a starting
point.

The problem I'm running into is that I'd like to provide my own
implementation of the Generic Access Service (UUID '1800') but I get
the error:
Failed to register application: org.bluez.Error.Failed: Failed to
create entry in database

I would presume that this is because there's already such a service
registered. Can anyone give me a pointer as to the proper way to
un-register the existing service (or prevent it from being installed)?

Regards,
Josh van Tol

2017-05-27 06:57:56

by Barry Byford

Hello Josh,

On 24 May 2017 at 23:28, Josh Van Tol <[email protected]> wrote:
> I'm trying to build a custom device using BlueZ, and have been using
> the examples and tests that are included with BlueZ as a starting
> point.
>
> The problem I'm running into is that I'd like to provide my own
> implementation of the Generic Access Service (UUID '1800') but I get
> the error:
> Failed to register application: org.bluez.Error.Failed: Failed to
> create entry in database

This is a reserved UUID with a specific purpose and you shouldn't need
to redefine it:
https://www.bluetooth.com/specifications/gatt/viewer?attributeXmlFile=org.bluetooth.service.generic_access.xml

On BlueZ I think many of these values are set with values in
/etc/bluetooth/main.conf

> I would presume that this is because there's already such a service
> registered. Can anyone give me a pointer as to the proper way to
> un-register the existing service (or prevent it from being installed)?

If you are creating something custom then you might find this an
interesting read:
https://www.bluetooth.com/specifications/profiles-overview/creating-custom-profiles