2012-12-16 17:58:35

by Kevin Wilson

Subject: PSCAN and ISCAN flags in hciconfig

Hello,
I have 2 PC with Linux which once used to recognize each other by
"hcitool scan" and to create
a PAND-based connection.

Now I fail to see each other with "hcitool scan".
My question is :
I see now only the PSCAN flag when running "hciconfig" on both of then.
Is the ISCAN flag (inquiry) mandatory so that a device will be discoverable ?

following is full output on one of them:

hci0: Type: BR/EDR Bus: USB
BD Address: 00:23:4E:E5:70:3A ACL MTU: 1021:8 SCO MTU: 64:1
UP RUNNING PSCAN
RX bytes:1857 acl:0 sco:0 events:65 errors:0
TX bytes:762 acl:0 sco:0 commands:57 errors:0
Features: 0xff 0xff 0x8f 0xfe 0x9b 0xff 0x79 0x83
Packet type: DM1 DM3 DM5 DH1 DH3 DH5 HV1 HV2 HV3
Link policy: RSWITCH HOLD SNIFF PARK
Link mode: SLAVE ACCEPT
Name: 'n-0'
Class: 0x400100
Service Classes: Telephony
Device Class: Computer, Uncategorized
HCI Version: 2.1 (0x4) Revision: 0x5259
LMP Version: 2.1 (0x4) Subversion: 0x424c
Manufacturer: Broadcom Corporation (15)

rgs,
Kevin

2012-12-17 09:02:39

by Andrei Emeltchenko

Subject: Re: PSCAN and ISCAN flags in hciconfig

Hi Kevin

On Mon, Dec 17, 2012 at 05:37:09AM +0200, Kevin Wilson wrote:
> Hi,
> Thanks Frederic.
> Ok, so I rebooted the machine and still
> hciconfig shows:
> UP RUNNING PSCAN
> and also after 'hciconfig hci0 reset"
> It stays "UP RUNNING PSCAN".
>
> So what sould I do to make the ISCAN flag set ?

hciconfig hciX piscan

Best regards
Andrei Emeltchenko

> systemctl status bluetooth.service
> shows that it is "active (running)"
>
> rgs,
> Kevin
>

> On Sun, Dec 16, 2012 at 11:10 PM, Frederic Danis
> <[email protected]> wrote:
> > On 16/12/2012 18:58, Kevin Wilson wrote:
> >>
> >> Hello,
> >> I have 2 PC with Linux which once used to recognize each other by
> >> "hcitool scan" and to create
> >> a PAND-based connection.
> >>
> >> Now I fail to see each other with "hcitool scan".
> >> My question is :
> >> I see now only the PSCAN flag when running "hciconfig" on both of then.
> >> Is the ISCAN flag (inquiry) mandatory so that a device will be
> >> discoverable ?
> >

> > Yes, ISCAN means that your adapter will respond to inquiry scan, so it will
> > be discoverable.
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > Fred
> >
> > --
> > Frederic Danis Open Source Technology Center
> > [email protected] Intel Corporation

by Kevin Wilson

<[email protected]> wrote:
> On 16/12/2012 18:58, Kevin Wilson wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>> I have 2 PC with Linux which once used to recognize each other by
>> "hcitool scan" and to create
>> a PAND-based connection.
>>
>> Now I fail to see each other with "hcitool scan".
>> My question is :
>> I see now only the PSCAN flag when running "hciconfig" on both of then.
>> Is the ISCAN flag (inquiry) mandatory so that a device will be
>> discoverable ?
>

> Yes, ISCAN means that your adapter will respond to inquiry scan, so it will
> be discoverable.
>
> Regards
>
> Fred
>
> --
> Frederic Danis Open Source Technology Center
> [email protected] Intel Corporation

2012-12-16 21:10:41

by Frederic Danis