2013-08-31 09:53:14

by Tim Wei

Subject: Compatible Kernels of a certain BlueZ version

Who can tell me how I know which kernel is compatible with which BlueZ
version, for example, BlueZ 5.7? I didn't find any info in the doc
folder of the package.

Thank you and Best Regards,
Tim Wei

2013-09-03 03:14:34

by Tim Wei

Subject: Re: Compatible Kernels of a certain BlueZ version

Hi Luiz,

2013/9/3 Luiz Augusto von Dentz <[email protected]>:
> Hi wei,
>
> On Mon, Sep 2, 2013 at 10:59 AM, wei junping <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Hi Marcel,
>>
>> Thank you for your reply.
>>
>> But what do you mean by "refrain from top posting on this mailing
>> list"? Do you mean I should not have posted this question here? If so,
>> where should new comers of BlueZ ask for help?
>
> He was referring to post style: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posting_style
>
> Please use inline/interleaved like Im doing right now.

Thank you for your reply. So it should be like this?

Best Regards,
Tim Wei

2013-09-02 20:27:03

by Luiz Augusto von Dentz

Hi wei,

On Mon, Sep 2, 2013 at 10:59 AM, wei junping <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi Marcel,
>
> Thank you for your reply.
>
> But what do you mean by "refrain from top posting on this mailing
> list"? Do you mean I should not have posted this question here? If so,
> where should new comers of BlueZ ask for help?

He was referring to post style: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posting_style

Please use inline/interleaved like Im doing right now.

2013-09-02 07:59:44

by Tim Wei

2013/9/2 Marcel Holtmann <[email protected]>:
> Hi Wei,
>
> please refrain from top posting on this mailing list.
>
>> Thank you for your reply.
>> I am trying to make 4.93 come with Android 3.0.8 work with Kernel
>> 3.9.6, and I found that values of some mgmt macros in user mode are
>> different from those in kernel.
>> For example:
>> In user mode mgmt.h
>> #define MGMT_OP_READ_FEATURES 0x0002
>> struct mgmt_rp_read_features {
>> uint8_t features[8];
>> } __packed;
>>
>> but in kernel mode mgmt.h
>> #define MGMT_OP_READ_COMMANDS 0x0002
>> #define MGMT_READ_COMMANDS_SIZE 0
>> struct mgmt_rp_read_commands {
>> __le16 num_commands;
>> __le16 num_events;
>> __le16 opcodes[0];
>> } __packed;
>>
>> I haven't tried it, but I would think the meaning of the same value in
>> user and kernel should be the same. Is it?
>
> Before Linux 3.4, the mgmt interface was not official and disabled by default. So values and structs changed. Only with Linux 3.4 they became official. And BlueZ 5.x contains the official values as well.
>
> And version before BlueZ 5.0 will use the raw HCI interface and duplicate all the handling in user space.
>
> Regards
>
> Marcel

2013-09-02 06:06:40

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Wei,

please refrain from top posting on this mailing list.

> Thank you for your reply.
> I am trying to make 4.93 come with Android 3.0.8 work with Kernel
> 3.9.6, and I found that values of some mgmt macros in user mode are
> different from those in kernel.
> For example:
> In user mode mgmt.h
> #define MGMT_OP_READ_FEATURES 0x0002
> struct mgmt_rp_read_features {
> uint8_t features[8];
> } __packed;
>
> but in kernel mode mgmt.h
> #define MGMT_OP_READ_COMMANDS 0x0002
> #define MGMT_READ_COMMANDS_SIZE 0
> struct mgmt_rp_read_commands {
> __le16 num_commands;
> __le16 num_events;
> __le16 opcodes[0];
> } __packed;
>
> I haven't tried it, but I would think the meaning of the same value in
> user and kernel should be the same. Is it?

Before Linux 3.4, the mgmt interface was not official and disabled by default. So values and structs changed. Only with Linux 3.4 they became official. And BlueZ 5.x contains the official values as well.

And version before BlueZ 5.0 will use the raw HCI interface and duplicate all the handling in user space.

Regards

Marcel

2013-09-02 03:11:03

by Tim Wei

Hi Gustavo,

2013/9/1 Gustavo Padovan <[email protected]>:
> Hi Tim,
>
> 2013-08-31 wei junping <[email protected]>:
>
>> Who can tell me how I know which kernel is compatible with which BlueZ
>> version, for example, BlueZ 5.7? I didn't find any info in the doc
>> folder of the package.
>
> Any BlueZ 5 version works with an 3.4 kernel or newer. The old BlueZ 4 works
> with any kernel out there.
>
> Gustavo

2013-09-01 15:01:29

by Gustavo Padovan