2017-03-07 22:41:03

by Juha Kuikka

Subject: mSBC codec issue on a headset

Hi,

I am implementing HFP support including mSBC. I am using the SBC-1.3 [1] codec.

Two headsets I am currently using are:
Jabra Halo Smart
LG HBS-750

My problem is that the Jabra headset starts adding noise to the audio
output after a period, while the LG headset works a-ok for prolonged
periods of time.

My test is about 13s long wave file that is being looped. On Jabra the
noise always starts at about 25s (could be right at the edge of the
loop, hard to tell) and never goes away.

Obviously if I use sbcenc/dec with the audio, it works normally.

I have minimized my test so the only unknowns for me are the codec and
the headset.

Any ideas on what to try? I can provide any logs required.

Thanks,
- Juha

[1] http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/bluetooth/sbc-1.3.tar.xz

2017-03-09 15:59:26

by Frédéric Dalleau

Subject: Re: mSBC codec issue on a headset

Juha,

On 09/03/2017 06:34, Juha Kuikka wrote:
>>> If it looks like (hear like) small gaps are inserted between
packets, this
>>> could indicates timing issues ? If it hear like the audio data are
wrong,
>>> this could indicate codec issues.
>
> I managed to make a recording of the issue. Don't mind the huge amount

More likely the latter type of issue... But if some headset can decode
it properly, could be on decoder side.

Have you tried to compare both streams (mtu ? data ?)

atm I can't tell you much more than try to narrow the reproduction data.

Regards,
Fred

2017-03-09 05:34:34

by Juha Kuikka

On Wed, Mar 8, 2017 at 4:48 PM, Juha Kuikka <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 8, 2017 at 11:21 AM, Fr=C3=A9d=C3=A9ric Dalleau
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Hi Juha,
>>
>>> My problem is that the Jabra headset starts adding noise to the audio
>>> output after a period, while the LG headset works a-ok for prolonged
>>> periods of time.
>>>
>>> My test is about 13s long wave file that is being looped. On Jabra the
>>> noise always starts at about 25s (could be right at the edge of the
>>> loop, hard to tell) and never goes away.
>>

>> Some kind of description of the noise you hear could help.
>
> Certainly. I have been trying to record them off the headset but it is
> proving to be surprisingly difficult.
>
> Best way to describe it is as "sizzling", like fat in a pan.
>
>> If it looks like (hear like) small gaps are inserted between packets, th=
is
>> could indicates timing issues ? If it hear like the audio data are wrong=
,
>> this could indicate codec issues.
>
> I am trying to ascertain which one it is. I certainly have timing
> issues also, they come across as clearer clicks and pops, as I would
> expect, the sizzle is constant.
>
> The clicks and pops I can also hear on the LG headset.
>
> I will try to record it, just seeing the signal should give a good
> idea whether they are frame gaps or something else.
>
> Thanks for your comments!

I managed to make a recording of the issue. Don't mind the huge amount
of office back noise in there.
Original: https://goo.gl/XQK3IL
Looping with issue: https://goo.gl/fBQo5I
The "sizzle" starts at about 25s

Thanks,
- Juha

2017-03-09 00:48:08

by Juha Kuikka

<[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi Juha,
>
>> My problem is that the Jabra headset starts adding noise to the audio
>> output after a period, while the LG headset works a-ok for prolonged
>> periods of time.
>>
>> My test is about 13s long wave file that is being looped. On Jabra the
>> noise always starts at about 25s (could be right at the edge of the
>> loop, hard to tell) and never goes away.
>

> Some kind of description of the noise you hear could help.

Certainly. I have been trying to record them off the headset but it is
proving to be surprisingly difficult.

Best way to describe it is as "sizzling", like fat in a pan.

> If it looks like (hear like) small gaps are inserted between packets, thi=
> could indicates timing issues ? If it hear like the audio data are wrong,
> this could indicate codec issues.

I am trying to ascertain which one it is. I certainly have timing
issues also, they come across as clearer clicks and pops, as I would
expect, the sizzle is constant.

The clicks and pops I can also hear on the LG headset.

I will try to record it, just seeing the signal should give a good
idea whether they are frame gaps or something else.

Thanks for your comments!

- Juha

2017-03-08 19:21:42

by Frédéric Dalleau