2011-11-02 07:55:50

by Al Cho

Subject: How to add firmware uploader function to Bluez?

Hi All,

Broadcom BT4.0 module 0a5c:21e1 and 0a5c:21e3 need firmware
to setup(enable) at the first time we use.
We got the firmware and firmware uploader (brcm_patchram_plus_usb )
( user space tool ) from Broadcom ,the Licence is GPLv2,
would it possible that add those to bluez package?or any idea for this?

please correct me if i got any mistake,thanks.

Sincerely,
AL

2011-11-15 03:18:39

by Al Cho

Subject: Re: How to add firmware uploader function to Bluez?

Hi All,

Would anyone could give me help kindly?
I have sent the firmware uploader source code as a patch to this mailing list,
named: "How to add firmware uploader function to Bluez? (Broadcom
firmware uploader)"
There are Make file and source code "brcm_patchram_plus_usb.c" in this patch.
If you want to compiler this use "make" and need bluez-devel package
for bluetooth.h,
hci.h , and hci_lib.h..

I don't have enough knowledge about Bluez tool rules ,please correct
me if i got any mistake.

Sincerely,
AL

--
Al Yu-Chen Cho
Software Engineer

2011-11-02 14:15:33

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Al,

> Broadcom BT4.0 module 0a5c:21e1 and 0a5c:21e3 need firmware
> to setup(enable) at the first time we use.
> We got the firmware and firmware uploader (brcm_patchram_plus_usb )
> ( user space tool ) from Broadcom ,the Licence is GPLv2,
> would it possible that add those to bluez package?or any idea for this?
>
> please correct me if i got any mistake,thanks.

can you post these firmware loader as a patch to this mailing list? Then
we can discuss on how to integrate it best.

Regards

Marcel

2011-11-02 10:17:29

by Andrei Emeltchenko

Hi AL,

On Wed, Nov 02, 2011 at 06:00:48PM +0800, Al Cho wrote:
> Hi Andrei,
>
> On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 4:03 PM, Andrei Emeltchenko
> <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Hi AL,
> >
> > On Wed, Nov 02, 2011 at 03:55:50PM +0800, Al Cho wrote:
> >> Hi All,
> >>
> >> Broadcom BT4.0 module 0a5c:21e1 and 0a5c:21e3 need firmware
> >> to setup(enable) at the first time we use.
> >> We got the firmware and firmware uploader (brcm_patchram_plus_usb )
> >> ( user space tool ) from Broadcom ,the Licence is GPLv2,
> >> would it possible that add those to bluez package?or any idea for this?
> >
> > Should firmware come to linux-firmware package?
> >

> Yes, I think so,
> but 0a5c:21e1 and 0a5c:21e3 use btusb driver,
> this firmware use at the first time to enable only,
> and that firmware uploader need to use the bluez hci library.

IMO the standard way is to use request_firmware like for ath3k:

request_firmware(&firmware, "ath3k-1.fw", &udev->dev)

> So I guess add those to bluez would be better.

Most probably that "firmware loader" might be implemented in module as for
other devices as it is usually just a sequence of HCI commands.

Have a look at other BCM modules in drivers/bluetooth/bcm*

Best regards
Andrei Emeltchenko

> > ?This package provides firmware used by Linux kernel drivers.
> >
> > Do not know about "firmware-loader", probably we need to use available tools.

2011-11-02 10:00:48

by Al Cho

<[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi AL,
>
> On Wed, Nov 02, 2011 at 03:55:50PM +0800, Al Cho wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Broadcom BT4.0 module 0a5c:21e1 and 0a5c:21e3 need firmware
>> to setup(enable) at the first time we use.
>> We got the firmware and firmware uploader (brcm_patchram_plus_usb )
>> ( user space tool ) from Broadcom ,the Licence is GPLv2,
>> would it possible that add those to bluez package?or any idea for this?
>
> Should firmware come to linux-firmware package?

Yes, I think so,
but 0a5c:21e1 and 0a5c:21e3 use btusb driver,
this firmware use at the first time to enable only,
and that firmware uploader need to use the bluez hci library.
So I guess add those to bluez would be better.

> ?This package provides firmware used by Linux kernel drivers.
>
> Do not know about "firmware-loader", probably we need to use available tools.

BR,
AL

2011-11-02 08:03:01