2022-03-09 00:38:38

by Katherine Lai

Subject: [RFC] Bluetooth: Adding support for /etc/bluetooth/main.conf.d

Background

It was found that a change to the default settings for
MinConnectionInterval and MaxConnectionInterval in main.conf broke
some of ChromeOS’s keyboard HID tests for only certain Bluetooth
controllers. These keyboards aren’t able to connect to the device.
Since those connection parameters improve the connection interval for
most other chipsets, we want to leave the default values but have a
way to have an optional override to address problematic models.

Proposed Solution

Adding support to bluetoothd for an additional config directory
/etc/bluetooth/main.conf.d containing multiple files which will
override common params. Override order will be lexically sorted
filename order. This pattern is already used by Linux distros, for
example there is /etc/sudoers.d which files will override common
params in /etc/sudoers.

Users can add override config files to /etc/bluetooth/main.conf.d
rather than directly editing /etc/bluetooth/main.conf. This is more
friendly to package managers since BlueZ package updates won't cause
conflict to /etc/bluetooth/main.conf.

In bluez’s main.c, merge the params for each *.conf file from
/etc/bluetooth/main.conf.d with the existing /etc/bluetooth/main.conf
in lexical filename order

/etc/bluetooth/main.conf.d will be configurable at build time, e.g.
with ./configure --main-conf-dir

2022-03-10 03:57:12

by Luiz Augusto von Dentz

Hi,

On Wed, Mar 9, 2022 at 12:44 PM Luiz Augusto von Dentz
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Mar 9, 2022 at 4:10 AM Bastien Nocera <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, 2022-03-08 at 14:50 -0800, Sonny Sasaka wrote:
> > > Hi Bastien,

> > > We did a bit of research and found that /etc/X and /etc/X.d is more
> > > common, e.g. the one described in
> > > https://www.redhat.com/sysadmin/etc-configuration-directories.
> >
> > This is documentation for an enterprise distribution, not how the
> > pattern is now used upstream.
> >
> > $ ls -d1 /usr/lib/*.d/
> > /usr/lib/binfmt.d/
> > /usr/lib/environment.d/
> > /usr/lib/modprobe.d/
> > /usr/lib/modules-load.d/
> > /usr/lib/motd.d/
> > /usr/lib/pam.d/
> > /usr/lib/sysctl.d/
> > /usr/lib/sysusers.d/
> > /usr/lib/tmpfiles.d/
> > $ ls -d1 /usr/lib/*/*.d/
> > /usr/lib/dracut/dracut.conf.d/
> > /usr/lib/dracut/modules.d/
> > /usr/lib/fedora-third-party/conf.d/
> > /usr/lib/gconv/gconv-modules.d/
> > /usr/lib/kernel/install.d/
> > /usr/lib/NetworkManager/conf.d/
> > /usr/lib/NetworkManager/dispatcher.d/
> > /usr/lib/rpm/macros.d/
> > /usr/lib/systemd/ntp-units.d/
> > /usr/lib/udev/hwdb.d/
> > /usr/lib/udev/rules.d/
> >
> > > If some distribution wants to organize the conf files to
> > > /usr/lib/bluetooth (for stock by package managers) and
> > > /etc/bluetooth/main.conf.d (for admin/users), I guess this is where
> > > having a configurable path is useful.
> > > What do you think?
> >
> > I'm saying this isn't the current pattern, especially for OSes where
> > /usr is locked-down. I still think this isn't the right way to
> > implement this feature.
>
> Before we start doing this we should check if the devices with
> problems don't implement Peripheral Preferred Connection Parameters
> (PPCP) as some of peripherals are not capable of updating the
> connection parameters themselves they depend on the central reading
> the PPCP, some years back we got someone attempting to implement PPCP
> support but the problem was that one needs to load all the devices
> connection parameters with Peripheral Preferred Connection Parameters
> management command, anyway it would be great to have support for PPCP
> even if that means reloading everything or perhaps we introduce
> something at socket level where the user can set the parameters which
> then gets saved once the update connection parameters procedure is
> completed.

Here it is the RFC for the kernel side:

https://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-bluetooth/msg69520.html

It probably needs some improvements like checkinf if the conneciton is
really LE, etc.

--
Luiz Augusto von Dentz

2022-03-10 12:50:59

by Sonny Sasaka

Hi Luiz,

On Wed, Mar 9, 2022 at 1:02 PM Luiz Augusto von Dentz
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Mar 9, 2022 at 12:44 PM Luiz Augusto von Dentz
> <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,

> > > This is documentation for an enterprise distribution, not how the
> > > pattern is now used upstream.
> > >
> > > $ ls -d1 /usr/lib/*.d/
> > > /usr/lib/binfmt.d/
> > > /usr/lib/environment.d/
> > > /usr/lib/modprobe.d/
> > > /usr/lib/modules-load.d/
> > > /usr/lib/motd.d/
> > > /usr/lib/pam.d/
> > > /usr/lib/sysctl.d/
> > > /usr/lib/sysusers.d/
> > > /usr/lib/tmpfiles.d/
> > > $ ls -d1 /usr/lib/*/*.d/
> > > /usr/lib/dracut/dracut.conf.d/
> > > /usr/lib/dracut/modules.d/
> > > /usr/lib/fedora-third-party/conf.d/
> > > /usr/lib/gconv/gconv-modules.d/
> > > /usr/lib/kernel/install.d/
> > > /usr/lib/NetworkManager/conf.d/
> > > /usr/lib/NetworkManager/dispatcher.d/
> > > /usr/lib/rpm/macros.d/
> > > /usr/lib/systemd/ntp-units.d/
> > > /usr/lib/udev/hwdb.d/
> > > /usr/lib/udev/rules.d/

> > > I'm saying this isn't the current pattern, especially for OSes where
> > > /usr is locked-down. I still think this isn't the right way to
> > > implement this feature.
> >
> > Before we start doing this we should check if the devices with
> > problems don't implement Peripheral Preferred Connection Parameters
> > (PPCP) as some of peripherals are not capable of updating the
> > connection parameters themselves they depend on the central reading
> > the PPCP, some years back we got someone attempting to implement PPCP
> > support but the problem was that one needs to load all the devices
> > connection parameters with Peripheral Preferred Connection Parameters
> > management command, anyway it would be great to have support for PPCP
> > even if that means reloading everything or perhaps we introduce
> > something at socket level where the user can set the parameters which
> > then gets saved once the update connection parameters procedure is
> > completed.
In our case, the problem is not with the peripherals but with a
specific Bluetooth controller of the central. We can't assume that all
Bluetooth controllers behave well with a certain configuration,
therefore I think that trying to get a one-size-fits-all configuration
will likely run into a problem eventually.

Also, although it's motivated by a specific issue, the solution that
we are proposing is actually a generally helpful feature since there
are other parameters that users may override without modifying the
original configuration that comes from package manager especially when
it is locked down. As a generic override mechanism, what do you think
about this proposal?

> Here it is the RFC for the kernel side:
>
> https://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-bluetooth/msg69520.html
>
> It probably needs some improvements like checkinf if the conneciton is
> really LE, etc.
>
> > --
> > Luiz Augusto von Dentz
>

> --
> Luiz Augusto von Dentz

2022-03-10 17:22:06

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Katherine,

> It was found that a change to the default settings for
> MinConnectionInterval and MaxConnectionInterval in main.conf broke
> some of ChromeOS’s keyboard HID tests for only certain Bluetooth
> controllers. These keyboards aren’t able to connect to the device.
> Since those connection parameters improve the connection interval for
> most other chipsets, we want to leave the default values but have a
> way to have an optional override to address problematic models.
>

> Proposed Solution
>
> Adding support to bluetoothd for an additional config directory
> /etc/bluetooth/main.conf.d containing multiple files which will
> override common params. Override order will be lexically sorted
> filename order. This pattern is already used by Linux distros, for
> example there is /etc/sudoers.d which files will override common
> params in /etc/sudoers.
>
> Users can add override config files to /etc/bluetooth/main.conf.d
> rather than directly editing /etc/bluetooth/main.conf. This is more
> friendly to package managers since BlueZ package updates won't cause
> conflict to /etc/bluetooth/main.conf.
>
> In bluez’s main.c, merge the params for each *.conf file from
> /etc/bluetooth/main.conf.d with the existing /etc/bluetooth/main.conf
> in lexical filename order
>
> /etc/bluetooth/main.conf.d will be configurable at build time, e.g.
> with ./configure --main-conf-dir

actually I rather not do this. Let met try to explain this. In modern distribution layout, the /etc directory is purely for the admin of the system. They can do localized changes. Defaults are meant to be in /usr/lib/ actually. And override is also meant that an /etc file can fully replace an /usr/lib file.

We already structured that /etc/bluetooth/main.conf is optional and that package managers / distros should only install it if they really know what they are doing. If an upgrade of a package overwrites /etc/bluetooth/main.conf then it is doing something wrong (mind you we don’t install it by default).

That said, some time ago I discussed with Alain, that fundamentally you first need an option to identify your controller, what firmware etc. and then can decide what to load. That thread ended and got no further discussion. Based on that identification we wanted to allow tweaking certain set of parameters to add known good parameters / workaround to broken hardware.

If you say, that you already know all of this anyway upfront and your filesystem is specific for a given platform, then use tmpfs for /etc/bluetooth/main.conf or alternatively, we actually introduce support for CONFIGURATION_DIRECTORY. We already have this in iwd and it would make sense to just support it.

The CONFIGURATION_DIRECTORY directory comes from systemd (https://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/systemd.exec.html), but since it is just an environment variable for the bluetoothd process, you can do with any shell by just setting it.

Regards

Marcel

2022-03-11 01:33:40

by Sonny Sasaka

Hi Marcel,

On Thu, Mar 10, 2022 at 1:51 AM Marcel Holtmann <[email protected]> wrote:

> [...]
>
> If you say, that you already know all of this anyway upfront and your filesystem is specific for a given platform, then use tmpfs for /etc/bluetooth/main.conf or alternatively, we actually introduce support for CONFIGURATION_DIRECTORY. We already have this in iwd and it would make sense to just support it.
>
> The CONFIGURATION_DIRECTORY directory comes from systemd (https://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/systemd.exec.html), but since it is just an environment variable for the bluetoothd process, you can do with any shell by just setting it.

If I interpret this correctly, the reason against this proposal isn't
really about the location of the conf (/usr vs /etc), but rather that
BlueZ intends to use the main.conf already as an override (so there is
no need for another override), is that right?

> Regards
>
> Marcel

2022-03-11 04:36:27

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Sonny,

> [...]
>>
>> If you say, that you already know all of this anyway upfront and your filesystem is specific for a given platform, then use tmpfs for /etc/bluetooth/main.conf or alternatively, we actually introduce support for CONFIGURATION_DIRECTORY. We already have this in iwd and it would make sense to just support it.
>>
>> The CONFIGURATION_DIRECTORY directory comes from systemd (https://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/systemd.exec.html), but since it is just an environment variable for the bluetoothd process, you can do with any shell by just setting it.
>
> If I interpret this correctly, the reason against this proposal isn't
> really about the location of the conf (/usr vs /etc), but rather that
> BlueZ intends to use the main.conf already as an override (so there is
> no need for another override), is that right?

that is one of them. The other is that these days overrides are done differently as mentioned above.

Regards

Marcel

2022-03-21 08:58:27

by Sonny Sasaka

Thanks for the clarification. We will not be moving forward with this
proposal but will implement overrides in our build system instead.