2019-12-06 10:25:17

by Abhay Agarwal

Subject: Bluez mesh-cfgclient: Not able to configure the device

Hi

I am trying the mesh-cfgclient tool to control a sylvania smart+ bulb with it.
I am able to provision the device on PB-ADV.

Unfortunately I am not able to configure the device. It shows the
error message as
[config: Target = 00aa]# appkey-add 0
No response for "AppKeyAdd" from 00aa

Note that I have been able to configure and control the device
(on/off) using meshctl.

Please advise what can be the issue and how to debug this.

Thanks and Regards,
Abhay Agarwal

2019-12-10 15:27:58

by Stotland, Inga

Hi Abhay,

On Tue, 2019-12-10 at 18:20 +0530, Abhay Agarwal wrote:
> Hi Inga
>

> Thanks for the reply
>
> Unfortunately we are still not able to resolve the issue
>
> We have used following mesh-cfgclient commands
>

> [mesh-cfgclient]# create
>
> [mesh-cfgclient]# appkey-create 0000 0001
>
> [mesh-cfgclient]# discover-unprovisioned on
>
> Unprovisioned scan started
>
> Scan result:
>
> rssi = -62
>
> UUID = F24B3F329DF200000000000000000000
>

> [mesh-cfgclient]# provision F24B3F329DF200000000000000000000
>
> Provisioning started
>
> Assign addresses for 4 elements
>
> Provisioning done:
>
> Mesh Node:
>
> UUID = F24B3F329DF200000000000000000000
>
> Primary = 00aa
>
> elements = 4
>

> [mesh-cfgclient]# menu config
>
> [mesh-cfgclient]# target 00aa
>
> [config: Target = 00aa] appkey-add 0001
>
> No response for "AppKeyAdd" from 00aa
>

> We have also confirmed that the local NetKey with index 0000 and
> appkey with index 0001 are both present, as used in above commands.
> As can be seen in config_db.json
> "netKeys":[
> {
> "index":"0000"
> }
> ],
> "appKeys":[
> {
> "boundNetKey":"0000",
> "index":"0001"
> }
> ],
>

> Please advise what can be done to resolve this issue.
>

> Thanks and regards
> Abhay Agarwal
> On Saturday, December 7, 2019, Stotland, Inga <
> [email protected]> wrote:
> > Hi Abhay,
> >
> > On Fri, 2019-12-06 at 15:55 +0530, Abhay Agarwal wrote:
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > I am trying the mesh-cfgclient tool to control a sylvania smart+
> > > bulb with it.
> > > I am able to provision the device on PB-ADV.
> > >
> > > Unfortunately I am not able to configure the device. It shows the
> > > error message as
> > > [config: Target = 00aa]# appkey-add 0
> > > No response for "AppKeyAdd" from 00aa
> > >
> > > Note that I have been able to configure and control the device
> > > (on/off) using meshctl.
> > >
> > > Please advise what can be the issue and how to debug this.
> > >
> > > Thanks and Regards,
> > > Abhay Agarwal
> >
> > I suspect that the reason is for this behavior is the fact that a
> > local AppKey with index "0" does not exist.
> >
> > Prior to sending AppKeys or NetKeys to a remote node,the keys need
> > to be generated locally by executing
> > commands from the main mesh-cfgclient menu:
> > "create-subnet" for a NetKey
> > and
> > "create-appkey" for an AppKey
> >
> > Best regards,
> > Inga

Are you able to run the bluetoooth-meshd daemon in debug mode, i.e.,
start it from the command line with "-nd" option? It would be helpful
to see if the appkey message is being sent to the remote node.

Best regardds,
Inga

2019-12-13 23:48:45

by Steve Brown

Hi Abhay,

On Tue, 2019-12-10 at 15:27 +0000, Stotland, Inga wrote:
> Hi Abhay,
>
> On Tue, 2019-12-10 at 18:20 +0530, Abhay Agarwal wrote:
> > Hi Inga
> >

> > Thanks for the reply
> >
> > Unfortunately we are still not able to resolve the issue
> >
> > We have used following mesh-cfgclient commands
> >

> > [mesh-cfgclient]# create
> >
> > [mesh-cfgclient]# appkey-create 0000 0001
> >
> > [mesh-cfgclient]# discover-unprovisioned on
> >
> > Unprovisioned scan started
> >
> > Scan result:
> >
> > rssi = -62
> >
> > UUID = F24B3F329DF200000000000000000000
> >

> > [mesh-cfgclient]# provision F24B3F329DF200000000000000000000
> >
> > Provisioning started
> >
> > Assign addresses for 4 elements
> >
> > Provisioning done:
> >
> > Mesh Node:
> >
> > UUID = F24B3F329DF200000000000000000000
> >
> > Primary = 00aa
> >
> > elements = 4
> >

> > [mesh-cfgclient]# menu config
> >
> > [mesh-cfgclient]# target 00aa
> >
> > [config: Target = 00aa] appkey-add 0001
> >
> > No response for "AppKeyAdd" from 00aa
> >

> > We have also confirmed that the local NetKey with index 0000 and
> > appkey with index 0001 are both present, as used in above commands.
> > As can be seen in config_db.json
> > "netKeys":[
> > {
> > "index":"0000"
> > }
> > ],
> > "appKeys":[
> > {
> > "boundNetKey":"0000",
> > "index":"0001"
> > }
> > ],
> >

> > Please advise what can be done to resolve this issue.
> >

> > Thanks and regards
> > Abhay Agarwal
> > On Saturday, December 7, 2019, Stotland, Inga <
> > [email protected]> wrote:
> > > Hi Abhay,

> > > I suspect that the reason is for this behavior is the fact that a
> > > local AppKey with index "0" does not exist.
> > >
> > > Prior to sending AppKeys or NetKeys to a remote node,the keys
> > > need
> > > to be generated locally by executing
> > > commands from the main mesh-cfgclient menu:
> > > "create-subnet" for a NetKey
> > > and
> > > "create-appkey" for an AppKey
> > >
> > > Best regards,
> > > Inga
> > >

> Are you able to run the bluetoooth-meshd daemon in debug mode, i.e.,
> start it from the command line with "-nd" option? It would be
> helpful
> to see if the appkey message is being sent to the remote node.
>
> Best regardds,
> Inga

I was able to successfully perform that same sequence without a
problem. I created an appkey 0 and 1 and added them to my Sylvania
lamp.

[config: Target = 00c5]# appkey-add 0
Received AppKeyStatus
Node 00c5 AppKey status Success
NetKey 000
AppKey 000
[config: Target = 00c5]# appkey-add 1
Received AppKeyStatus
Node 00c5 AppKey status Success
NetKey 000
AppKey 001

I found that my Sylvania lamps arrived mostly broken and wouldn't do
much until their firmware was updated with the Sylvania ios app.

Also, PB-ADV hasn't been super reliable for me. Sometimes, I have to
repeat the command before I get a status response.

Steve