2018-11-07 23:14:23

by Mira Ressel

Subject: init_daemon_domain vs init_spec_daemon_domain

Hello *,

I've noticed the init_daemon_domain and init_spec_daemon_domain
interfaces contain quite a bit of duplicated code. As can be seen from
the patch I just [two weeks ago, but this mail unfortunately didn't go
out back then due to a problem on my end] posted, this has already
caused bugs.

Ideally, init_daemon_domain should just call init_spec_daemon_domain
and only add a typetransition statement on top of it. However, this is
currently not possible because those two interfaces differ in some
aspects:

* i_d_d grants the daemon nscd_use() permissions, while i_s_d_d
doesn't. This is most likely an oversight too.

* i_d_d permits transitions from initrc_t to the daemon domain, while
i_s_d_d permits transitions from init_t. This is thoroughly odd. My
expectation was that i_s_d_d would allow transitions from initrc_t
too, and as far as I understand the situation, transitions directly
from init_t do a daemon domain only happen with systemd.

* The ifdef(init_systemd) blocks of the two interfaces are very
different. Could someone familiar with the systemd policy please
comment on this?

* i_s_d_d obviously grants init_t (and initrc_t if that is added in the
future) self:process setexec permissions, while i_d_d doesn't. This
makes sense, of course, but if we can fix the three other differences
I already mentioned, I don't believe this difference alone should
block my proposed change.

Thanks,
Luis

2018-11-10 00:43:10

by Chris PeBenito

Subject: Re: init_daemon_domain vs init_spec_daemon_domain

On 11/07/2018 06:14 PM, Luis Ressel wrote:
> Hello *,
>
> I've noticed the init_daemon_domain and init_spec_daemon_domain
> interfaces contain quite a bit of duplicated code. As can be seen from
> the patch I just [two weeks ago, but this mail unfortunately didn't go
> out back then due to a problem on my end] posted, this has already
> caused bugs.
>
> Ideally, init_daemon_domain should just call init_spec_daemon_domain
> and only add a typetransition statement on top of it. However, this is

I'm inclined to accept a patch that will make this so, regardless of the
below concerns, since there are no usages in refpolicy.

--
Chris PeBenito