2017-06-21 11:46:32

by Paul Menzel

Subject: How to debug permission denied issues?

Dear NFS folks,

We experience the following behavior with the Linux series 4.4 and 4.9.

When the exported directory on the server gets full to 100 % some NFS
clients are unable to access the server anymore, but others can.

The error is, that the server says the client ID has expired. The
server, on which the client runs on, needs to be restarted. Then it
works again.

Can you think of an error path causing such a failure? What would be the
right way to deal with this error?

Kind regards,

Paul

2017-06-21 11:48:07

by Paul Menzel

Subject: Full volume causes some NFS clients to get client ID expired responses

[Sorry, wrong subject.]

Dear NFS folks,

We experience the following behavior with the Linux series 4.4 and 4.9.

When the exported directory on the server gets full to 100 % some NFS
clients are unable to access the server anymore, but others can.

The error is, that the server says the client ID has expired. The
server, on which the client runs on, needs to be restarted. Then it
works again.

Can you think of an error path causing such a failure? What would be the
right way to deal with this error?

Kind regards,

Paul

2017-06-23 15:25:32

by J. Bruce Fields

On Wed, Jun 21, 2017 at 01:48:05PM +0200, Paul Menzel wrote:
> We experience the following behavior with the Linux series 4.4 and 4.9.

So, your NFS server is a Linux server running kernel 4.4 or 4.9? What
is the exported filesystem?

What are the clients?

> When the exported directory on the server gets full to 100 % some NFS
> clients are unable to access the server anymore, but others can.
>
> The error is, that the server says the client ID has expired.

Where exactly are you seeing that error, in response to what operation?

Might be interesting to try a more recent kernel.

--b.