2008-12-01 00:40:19

by Brian J. Murrell

Subject: ipv6 status

Hi All,

So what exactly is the status of NFS and IPv6 in the most recent (say,
2.6.24-28) kernels? Is it present and if so, working? Feel free to
simply point me to a roadmap that shows where we are if you like.

Cheers and thanx,
b.

Attachments:
signature.asc (197.00 B)
This is a digitally signed message part

2008-12-01 18:33:36

by Chuck Lever

Subject: Re: ipv6 status

On Nov 30, 2008, at Nov 30, 2008, 7:40 PM, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
> So what exactly is the status of NFS and IPv6 in the most recent (say,
> 2.6.24-28) kernels? Is it present and if so, working? Feel free to
> simply point me to a roadmap that shows where we are if you like.

There isn't a published roadmap. Linux developers tend to eschew
deadlines.

The NFS client in 2.6.28 (and maybe 2.6.27) should support NFSv4 over
IPv6. Use the latest nfs-utils.

I'm hoping 2.6.29 will see all the kernel pieces we need for NFSv2/v3
client and server, and NFSv4 server support for IPv6.

Support for NFSv2/v3 over IPv6, and server-side support for NFSv4 over
IPv6, requires user space changes. We are pushing those into nfs-
utils over time, but I don't expect that work to be complete until
sometime in 1H2009.

--
Chuck Lever
chuck[dot]lever[at]oracle[dot]com

2008-12-01 18:40:05

by Brian J. Murrell

On Mon, 2008-12-01 at 13:33 -0500, Chuck Lever wrote:

> There isn't a published roadmap. Linux developers tend to eschew
> deadlines.

Indeed. :-)

Thanx for the update. Looking forward to it finally finishing.