2009-10-31 19:28:05

by Piotr Oniszczuk

Subject: [NFS] Best solution for following problem...

Please note that [email protected] is being discontinued.
Please subscribe to [email protected] instead.
http://vger.kernel.org/vger-lists.html#linux-nfs

Attachments:
piotr_oniszczuk.vcf (251.00 B)
(No filename) (399.00 B)
(No filename) (362.00 B)

by Trond Myklebust

Subject: Re: [NFS] Best solution for following problem...

On Sat, 2009-10-31 at 19:45 +0100, Piotr Oniszczuk wrote:
> Hi *
>
> I'm looking for advice for best solution for following problem:
>
> I have file server sharing files to diskless clients via NFS
>
> I want have setup, where pluging ext. USB HDD will be dynamically
> visible on clients as new <subdir> with HDD contents.
> So if user plug USB HD on server, diskless clients should see plugged
> HDD contents in dynamically created <subdirectory> with name equal to HD
> label and HD contents inside it.
>
> I already wrote udev script which auto creates subdir=<label> in NFS
> server shared dir, and automounts USB HD in this subdir.
>
> Issue is that diskless clients don't see this subdir unless I issue on
> server
>
> exportfs -ua
> exportfs -a
>
> Problem is that above unexporting/exporting sequence issued on server
> brokes existing NFS shares between clients and server.
>
> What is most elegant solution for such functional requirement ?

<changed mailing list address to correct one for linux-nfs>

Doesn't 'exportfs -r' work for you?

Cheers
Trond