2010-02-05 17:00:53

by [email protected]

Subject: [NFS] Portmapper problem, no access the server after update to debian squeeze

Dear NFS-Team,
Since I updated my server from Debian-Lenny to Squeeze I am not able
anymore to mount, ssh, etc to my server. I have gone through the
nfs-howto, followed the troubleshouting process with no success.
I can reach the server with ping without any problems. Only mount, ssh,
sftp etc. does not work. My portmapper seams not to allow the access.

Please help!

Thanks
Peter

******** Here is my /etc/exports
# /etc/exports: the access control list for filesystems which may be
exported
# to NFS clients. See exports(5).
#
# Example for NFSv2 and NFSv3:
# /srv/homes hostname1(rw,sync,no_subtree_check)
hostname2(ro,sync,no_subtree_check)
#
# Example for NFSv4:
# /srv/nfs4 gss/krb5i(rw,sync,fsid=0,crossmnt,no_subtree_check)
# /srv/nfs4/homes gss/krb5i(rw,sync,no_subtree_check)
#
/data/PUBLIC 192.168.178.27(rw,sync,no_subtree_check)
******** End of /etc/exports

******** Here is my /etc/hosts.allow
# /etc/hosts.allow: list of hosts that are allowed to access the system.
# See the manual pages hosts_access(5) and
hosts_options(5).
#
# Example: ALL: LOCAL @some_netgroup
# ALL: .foobar.edu EXCEPT terminalserver.foobar.edu
#
# If you're going to protect the portmapper use the name "portmap" for the
# daemon name. Remember that you can only use the keyword "ALL" and IP
# addresses (NOT host or domain names) for the portmapper, as well as for
# rpc.mountd (the NFS mount daemon). See portmap(8) and rpc.mountd(8)
# for further information.
#
ALL:192.168.178.0/255.255.255.0(rw,sync)
******** End of /etc/hosts.allow

******** My /etc/hosts.deny is empty

******** Here is the output of rpcinfo -p localhost from the server
Program Vers Proto Port
100000 2 tcp 111 portmapper
100000 2 udp 111 portmapper
100024 1 udp 59341 status
100024 1 tcp 52100 status
100021 1 udp 43350 nlockmgr
100021 3 udp 43350 nlockmgr
100021 4 udp 43350 nlockmgr
100021 1 tcp 56947 nlockmgr
100021 3 tcp 56947 nlockmgr
100021 4 tcp 56947 nlockmgr
100003 2 tcp 2049 nfs
100003 3 tcp 2049 nfs
100003 4 tcp 2049 nfs
100003 2 udp 2049 nfs
100003 3 udp 2049 nfs
100003 4 udp 2049 nfs
100005 1 udp 51709 mountd
100005 1 tcp 36097 mountd
100005 2 udp 51709 mountd
100005 2 tcp 36097 mountd
100005 3 udp 51709 mountd
100005 3 tcp 36097 mountd
******* End of rpcinfo -p localhost

******* Here is the output of rpcinfo -p 192.168.178.32 from the client
rpcinfo: Portmapper kann nicht erreicht werden: RPC: Fehler des
entfernten Systems - Verbindungsaufbau abgelehnt
******* This seams to be my problem, but what to do?

Please note that [email protected] is being discontinued.
Please subscribe to [email protected] instead.
http://vger.kernel.org/vger-lists.html#linux-nfs

2010-02-05 17:16:39

by Chuck Lever III

On 02/05/2010 02:15 PM, [email protected] wrote:
> Dear NFS-Team,
> Since I updated my server from Debian-Lenny to Squeeze I am not able
> anymore to mount, ssh, etc to my server. I have gone through the
> nfs-howto, followed the troubleshouting process with no success.
> I can reach the server with ping without any problems. Only mount, ssh,
> sftp etc. does not work. My portmapper seams not to allow the access.

ssh doesn't use portmapper, so this is more likely a generic networking
problem. For example, perhaps the new install has a restrictive local
software firewall in place? Did you check iptables?

> Please help!
>
> Thanks
> Peter
>
> ******** Here is my /etc/exports
> # /etc/exports: the access control list for filesystems which may be
> exported
> # to NFS clients. See exports(5).
> #
> # Example for NFSv2 and NFSv3:
> # /srv/homes hostname1(rw,sync,no_subtree_check)
> hostname2(ro,sync,no_subtree_check)
> #
> # Example for NFSv4:
> # /srv/nfs4 gss/krb5i(rw,sync,fsid=0,crossmnt,no_subtree_check)
> # /srv/nfs4/homes gss/krb5i(rw,sync,no_subtree_check)
> #
> /data/PUBLIC 192.168.178.27(rw,sync,no_subtree_check)
> ******** End of /etc/exports
>
> ******** Here is my /etc/hosts.allow
> # /etc/hosts.allow: list of hosts that are allowed to access the system.
> # See the manual pages hosts_access(5) and
> hosts_options(5).
> #
> # Example: ALL: LOCAL @some_netgroup
> # ALL: .foobar.edu EXCEPT terminalserver.foobar.edu
> #
> # If you're going to protect the portmapper use the name "portmap" for the
> # daemon name. Remember that you can only use the keyword "ALL" and IP
> # addresses (NOT host or domain names) for the portmapper, as well as for
> # rpc.mountd (the NFS mount daemon). See portmap(8) and rpc.mountd(8)
> # for further information.
> #
> ALL:192.168.178.0/255.255.255.0(rw,sync)
> ******** End of /etc/hosts.allow
>
> ******** My /etc/hosts.deny is empty
>
> ******** Here is the output of rpcinfo -p localhost from the server
> Program Vers Proto Port
> 100000 2 tcp 111 portmapper
> 100000 2 udp 111 portmapper
> 100024 1 udp 59341 status
> 100024 1 tcp 52100 status
> 100021 1 udp 43350 nlockmgr
> 100021 3 udp 43350 nlockmgr
> 100021 4 udp 43350 nlockmgr
> 100021 1 tcp 56947 nlockmgr
> 100021 3 tcp 56947 nlockmgr
> 100021 4 tcp 56947 nlockmgr
> 100003 2 tcp 2049 nfs
> 100003 3 tcp 2049 nfs
> 100003 4 tcp 2049 nfs
> 100003 2 udp 2049 nfs
> 100003 3 udp 2049 nfs
> 100003 4 udp 2049 nfs
> 100005 1 udp 51709 mountd
> 100005 1 tcp 36097 mountd
> 100005 2 udp 51709 mountd
> 100005 2 tcp 36097 mountd
> 100005 3 udp 51709 mountd
> 100005 3 tcp 36097 mountd
> ******* End of rpcinfo -p localhost
>
> ******* Here is the output of rpcinfo -p 192.168.178.32 from the client
> rpcinfo: Portmapper kann nicht erreicht werden: RPC: Fehler des
> entfernten Systems - Verbindungsaufbau abgelehnt
> ******* This seams to be my problem, but what to do?

chuck[dot]lever[at]oracle[dot]com

Please note that [email protected] is being discontinued.
Please subscribe to [email protected] instead.
http://vger.kernel.org/vger-lists.html#linux-nfs

2010-02-05 18:11:58

by [email protected]

Chuck,
thanks for your replay! Yes I checked the firewall with iptables -L ,
giving me an empty List of rules.
Peter

Chuck Lever wrote:
> [...]
>> 100005 3 tcp 36097 mountd
>> ******* End of rpcinfo -p localhost
>>
>> ******* Here is the output of rpcinfo -p 192.168.178.32 from the client
>> rpcinfo: Portmapper kann nicht erreicht werden: RPC: Fehler des
>> entfernten Systems - Verbindungsaufbau abgelehnt
>> ******* This seams to be my problem, but what to do?

>> The Planet: dedicated and managed hosting, cloud storage, colocation
>> Stay online with enterprise data centers and the best network in the
>> business
>> Choose flexible plans and management services without long-term
>> contracts
>> Personal 24x7 support from experience hosting pros just a phone call
>> away.
>> http://p.sf.net/sfu/theplanet-com
>> the body of a message to [email protected]

Please note that [email protected] is being discontinued.
Please subscribe to [email protected] instead.

2010-02-05 19:32:51

by Trond Myklebust

On Fri, 2010-02-05 at 20:15 +0100, [email protected] wrote:
> Dear NFS-Team,
> Since I updated my server from Debian-Lenny to Squeeze I am not able
> anymore to mount, ssh, etc to my server. I have gone through the
> nfs-howto, followed the troubleshouting process with no success.
> I can reach the server with ping without any problems. Only mount, ssh,
> sftp etc. does not work. My portmapper seams not to allow the access.
>
> Please help!
>
> Thanks
> Peter

On your server:

'dpkg-reconfigure portmap'

and tell it not to restrict the portmapper to the loopback address.

Trond

> ******** Here is my /etc/exports
> # /etc/exports: the access control list for filesystems which may be
> exported
> # to NFS clients. See exports(5).
> #
> # Example for NFSv2 and NFSv3:
> # /srv/homes hostname1(rw,sync,no_subtree_check)
> hostname2(ro,sync,no_subtree_check)
> #
> # Example for NFSv4:
> # /srv/nfs4 gss/krb5i(rw,sync,fsid=0,crossmnt,no_subtree_check)
> # /srv/nfs4/homes gss/krb5i(rw,sync,no_subtree_check)
> #
> /data/PUBLIC 192.168.178.27(rw,sync,no_subtree_check)
> ******** End of /etc/exports
>
> ******** Here is my /etc/hosts.allow
> # /etc/hosts.allow: list of hosts that are allowed to access the system.
> # See the manual pages hosts_access(5) and
> hosts_options(5).
> #
> # Example: ALL: LOCAL @some_netgroup
> # ALL: .foobar.edu EXCEPT terminalserver.foobar.edu
> #
> # If you're going to protect the portmapper use the name "portmap" for the
> # daemon name. Remember that you can only use the keyword "ALL" and IP
> # addresses (NOT host or domain names) for the portmapper, as well as for
> # rpc.mountd (the NFS mount daemon). See portmap(8) and rpc.mountd(8)
> # for further information.
> #
> ALL:192.168.178.0/255.255.255.0(rw,sync)
> ******** End of /etc/hosts.allow
>
> ******** My /etc/hosts.deny is empty
>
> ******** Here is the output of rpcinfo -p localhost from the server
> Program Vers Proto Port
> 100000 2 tcp 111 portmapper
> 100000 2 udp 111 portmapper
> 100024 1 udp 59341 status
> 100024 1 tcp 52100 status
> 100021 1 udp 43350 nlockmgr
> 100021 3 udp 43350 nlockmgr
> 100021 4 udp 43350 nlockmgr
> 100021 1 tcp 56947 nlockmgr
> 100021 3 tcp 56947 nlockmgr
> 100021 4 tcp 56947 nlockmgr
> 100003 2 tcp 2049 nfs
> 100003 3 tcp 2049 nfs
> 100003 4 tcp 2049 nfs
> 100003 2 udp 2049 nfs
> 100003 3 udp 2049 nfs
> 100003 4 udp 2049 nfs
> 100005 1 udp 51709 mountd
> 100005 1 tcp 36097 mountd
> 100005 2 udp 51709 mountd
> 100005 2 tcp 36097 mountd
> 100005 3 udp 51709 mountd
> 100005 3 tcp 36097 mountd
> ******* End of rpcinfo -p localhost
>
> ******* Here is the output of rpcinfo -p 192.168.178.32 from the client
> rpcinfo: Portmapper kann nicht erreicht werden: RPC: Fehler des
> entfernten Systems - Verbindungsaufbau abgelehnt
> ******* This seams to be my problem, but what to do?

by [email protected]

Trond,
Thanks you very much! This solved my problem.
Peter