2016-07-06 05:52:46

by Pankaj Singh

Subject: When can nfsv3 returns nfs3err_jukebox to client?

Hi All,

I have read in the RFC 1813 that "nfs3err_jukebox" will be return only
when server is not able to finish the RPC request within time. To
indicate client to wait and retry again.

Could anyone tell me is there any senario where NFSv3 or SUN RPC can
send this error to client, if not returned from base filesystem?

Here base filesystem means exporting file system via NFS.

Pankaj SIngh
Phone No: 8826266889

2016-07-06 10:06:11

by Mkrtchyan, Tigran

Hi,

> I have read in the RFC 1813 that "nfs3err_jukebox" will be return only
> when server is not able to finish the RPC request within time. To
> indicate client to wait and retry again.
>
> Could anyone tell me is there any senario where NFSv3 or SUN RPC can
> send this error to client, if not returned from base filesystem?

If a migrating file system exported through NFS, then server may return
err_jukebox/delay to the client on an IO request while mounting the offline
volume or tape to make it accessible.

Tigran.

> Here base filesystem means exporting file system via NFS.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Pankaj SIngh
> Phone No: 8826266889

by Jeff Layton

On Wed, 2016-07-06 at 12:06 +0200, Mkrtchyan, Tigran wrote:
> Hi,

I think that was the original intent, but many servers will return that
whenever there is a problem that is perceived as temporary. For
instance, knfsd will often return that when it hits a problem
allocating memory while processing an RPC.

--
Jeff Layton <[email protected]>