2008-01-21 19:31:24

by J. Bruce Fields

Subject: Re: nfs2/3 ESTALE bug on mount point (v2.6.24-rc8)

On Mon, Jan 21, 2008 at 01:19:30PM -0500, Erez Zadok wrote:
> Since around 2.6.24-rc5 or so I've had an occasional problem: I get an
> ESTALE error on the mount point after setting up a localhost exported mount
> point, and trying to mkdir something there (this is part of my setup scripts
> prior to running unionfs regression tests).
>
> I'm CC'ing both client and server maintainers/list, b/c I'm not certain
> where the problem is. The problem doesn't exist in 2.6.23 or earlier stable
> kernels. It doesn't appear in nfs4 either, only nfs2 and nfs3.
>
> The problem is seen intermittently, and is probably some form of a race. I
> was finally able to narrow it down a bit. I was able to write a shell
> script that for me reproduces the problem within a few minutes (I tried it
> on v2.6.24-rc8-74-ga7da60f and several different machine configurations).
>
> I've included the shell script below. Hopefully you can use it to track the
> problem down. The mkdir command in the middle of the script is that one
> that'll eventually cause an ESTALE error and cause the script to abort; you
> can run "df" afterward to see the stale mount points.
>
> Notes: the one anecdotal factor that seems to make the bug appear sooner is
> if you increase the number of total mounts that the script below creates
> ($MAX in the script).

OK, so to summarize:

1. create $MAX ext2 filesystem images, loopback-mount them, and export
the result.
2. nfs-mount each of those $MAX exports.
3. create a directory under each of those nfs-mounts.
4. unmount and unexport

Repeat that a thousand times, and eventually get you ESTALE at step 3?

I guess one step would be to see if it's possible to get a network trace
showing what happened in the bad case....

--b.

> Hope this helps.
>
> Thanks,
> Erez.
>

> #!/bin/sh
> # script to tickle a "stale filehandle" mount-point bug in nfs2/3
> # Erez Zadok.
>
> # mount flags
> FLAGS=no_root_squash,rw,async
> # max no. of nfs mounts (each using a loop device)
> MAX=6
> # total no. of times to try test
> COUNT=1000
>
> function runcmd
> {
> echo "CMD: $@"
> $@
> ret=$?
> test $ret -ne 0 && exit $ret
> }
>
> function doit
> {
> for c in `seq 0 $MAX`; do
> runcmd dd if=/dev/zero of=/tmp/fs.$$.$c bs=1024k count=1 seek=100
> runcmd losetup /dev/loop$c /tmp/fs.$$.$c
> runcmd mkfs -t ext2 -q /dev/loop$c
> runcmd mkdir -p /n/export/b$c
> runcmd mount -t ext2 /dev/loop$c /n/export/b$c
> runcmd exportfs -o $FLAGS localhost:/n/export/b$c
> runcmd mkdir -p /n/lower/b$c
> runcmd mount -t nfs -o nfsvers=3 localhost:/n/export/b$c /n/lower/b$c
> done
>
> # this mkdir command will eventually cause an ESTALE error on the mnt pt
> for c in `seq 0 $MAX`; do
> runcmd mkdir -p /n/lower/b$c/dir
> done
>
> # check if "df" prints" "stale file handle"
> for i in `seq 1 10` ; do
> sleep 0.1
> echo -n "."
> if test -n "`df 2>&1 | grep -i stale`" ; then
> df
> exit 123
> fi
> done
> echo
>
> for c in `seq 0 $MAX`; do
> runcmd umount /n/lower/b$c
> runcmd exportfs -u localhost:/n/export/b$c
> runcmd umount /n/export/b$c
> runcmd losetup -d /dev/loop$c
> runcmd rm -f /tmp/fs.$$.$c
> done
> }
>
> count=$COUNT
> while test $count -gt 0 ; do
> echo "------------------------------------------------------------------"
> echo "COUNT $count"
> doit
> let count=count-1
> done
> ##############################################################################

2008-01-21 20:29:23

by Erez Zadok

Subject: Re: [NFS] nfs2/3 ESTALE bug on mount point (v2.6.24-rc8)

In message <[email protected]>, "J. Bruce Fields" writes:
> On Mon, Jan 21, 2008 at 01:19:30PM -0500, Erez Zadok wrote:
> > Since around 2.6.24-rc5 or so I've had an occasional problem: I get an
> > ESTALE error on the mount point after setting up a localhost exported mount
> > point, and trying to mkdir something there (this is part of my setup scripts
> > prior to running unionfs regression tests).
> >
> > I'm CC'ing both client and server maintainers/list, b/c I'm not certain
> > where the problem is. The problem doesn't exist in 2.6.23 or earlier stable
> > kernels. It doesn't appear in nfs4 either, only nfs2 and nfs3.
> >
> > The problem is seen intermittently, and is probably some form of a race. I
> > was finally able to narrow it down a bit. I was able to write a shell
> > script that for me reproduces the problem within a few minutes (I tried it
> > on v2.6.24-rc8-74-ga7da60f and several different machine configurations).
> >
> > I've included the shell script below. Hopefully you can use it to track the
> > problem down. The mkdir command in the middle of the script is that one
> > that'll eventually cause an ESTALE error and cause the script to abort; you
> > can run "df" afterward to see the stale mount points.
> >
> > Notes: the one anecdotal factor that seems to make the bug appear sooner is
> > if you increase the number of total mounts that the script below creates
> > ($MAX in the script).
>
> OK, so to summarize:
>
> 1. create $MAX ext2 filesystem images, loopback-mount them, and export
> the result.
> 2. nfs-mount each of those $MAX exports.
> 3. create a directory under each of those nfs-mounts.
> 4. unmount and unexport
>
> Repeat that a thousand times, and eventually get you ESTALE at step 3?

Your description is correct.

> I guess one step would be to see if it's possible to get a network trace
> showing what happened in the bad case....

Here you go. See the tcpdump in here:

http://agora.fsl.cs.sunysb.edu/tmp/nfs/

I captured it on an x86_64 machine using

tcpdump -s 0 -i lo -w tcpdump2

And it shows near the very end the ESTALE error.

> --b.

Do you think this could be related to nfs-utils? I find that I can easily
trigger this problem on an FC7 machine with nfs-utils-1.1.0-4.fc7 (within
10-30 runs of the above loop); but so far I cannot trigger the problem on an
FC6 machine with nfs-utils-1.0.10-14.fc6 (even after 300+ runs of the above
loop).

Let me know if I can help more.

Erez.