2008-08-05 18:31:51

by Chuck Lever

Subject: Re: nfs-utils and unfsd

On Aug 5, 2008, at 2:13 PM, Steve Dickson wrote:
> Chuck Lever wrote:
>> There is a generic RPC server helper in nfs-utils called rpc_init().
>> This API will need to be modified to support IPv6 in statd and
>> mountd,
>> at least.
>>
>> However, there is a comment inside support/nfs/rpcmisc.c, where
>> rpc_init() resides, that suggests that this interface is also used by
>> unfsd.
>>
>> Is it OK for me to modify nfs-utils' copy of this function, or is
>> there
>> any kind of ABI restriction between unfsd and nfs-utils?
> I don't see any problem... Is there even a supported/maintained
> version
> of unfsd out there today? I did a quick google search and didn't find
> anything but man pages...

I found this ancient web page:

http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3/stat/4/idpl/6572509/com/unfs3-0.9.20-1.el3.pp.i386.rpm.html

which suggests there is no binary dependency between unfsd and nfs-
utils.

I ask because we have had some unfsd questions on the list in the past
year, so I assumed it was something that was still supported by some
distributions.

--
Chuck Lever
chuck[dot]lever[at]oracle[dot]com

2008-08-05 19:25:01

by Bernd Schubert

On Tuesday 05 August 2008, Chuck Lever wrote:
> On Aug 5, 2008, at 2:13 PM, Steve Dickson wrote:
> > Chuck Lever wrote:
> >> There is a generic RPC server helper in nfs-utils called rpc_init().
> >> This API will need to be modified to support IPv6 in statd and
> >> mountd,
> >> at least.
> >>
> >> However, there is a comment inside support/nfs/rpcmisc.c, where
> >> rpc_init() resides, that suggests that this interface is also used by
> >> unfsd.
> >>
> >> Is it OK for me to modify nfs-utils' copy of this function, or is
> >> there
> >> any kind of ABI restriction between unfsd and nfs-utils?
> >
> > I don't see any problem... Is there even a supported/maintained
> > version
> > of unfsd out there today? I did a quick google search and didn't find
> > anything but man pages...
>
> I found this ancient web page:
>
> http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3/stat/4/idpl/6572509/com/unfs3-0.9.20-1.el3.
>pp.i386.rpm.html
>
> which suggests there is no binary dependency between unfsd and nfs-
> utils.

This is unfs3, which is a rewritten from scratch by Pascal Schmidt and so
unrelated to unfsd.