2008-11-30 22:47:10

by David Liontooth

Subject: No write access with recent versions of nfs-utils in Debian

This appears to be a Debian-specific issue, so I'm just looking for a
pointer from someone who may know about it.

I installed Debian sid on a new machine back in July, including the
current nfs-common and nfs-kernel-server. NFS mounts were successful,
but did not allow write -- I lost some serious data on one occasion
before I noticed the problem. mount and nfs-utils were upgraded several
times since, and never gave the requested write access. I've been
assuming the problem was firewall-related and lived with it.

On the other machines in the group, NFS writes worked fine. I banged my
head against the wall for a while today, after finally finding time to
look into the problem, and discovered a completely different version of
nfs-utils was running on the new machine. After a painful downgrade
things work fine again.

Here's the verbose output of the version that didn't work, nfs-common
1:1.1.3-2:

mount -vvv /mnt/cortona1
mount: fstab path: "/etc/fstab"
mount: lock path: "/etc/mtab~"
mount: temp path: "/etc/mtab.tmp"
mount: spec: "cortona:/tv1"
mount: node: "/mnt/cortona1"
mount: types: "nfs"
mount: opts: "noauto,user,exec,rw,rsize=16k,wsize=16k,hard,intr"
mount: external mount: argv[0] = "/sbin/mount.nfs"
mount: external mount: argv[1] = "cortona:/tv1"
mount: external mount: argv[2] = "/mnt/cortona1"
mount: external mount: argv[3] = "-v"
mount: external mount: argv[4] = "-o"
mount: external mount: argv[5] =
"rw,nosuid,nodev,noauto,user,rsize=16k,wsize=16k,hard,intr"
mount.nfs: trying xxx.xxx.xxx.178 prog 100003 vers 3 prot TCP port 2049
mount.nfs: trying xxx.xxx.xxx.178 prog 100005 vers 3 prot UDP port 32774
cortona:/tv1 on /mnt/cortona1 type nfs
(noauto,user,exec,rw,rsize=16k,wsize=16k,hard,intr)
tna@roma$ cd /mnt/cortona1
tna@roma:/mnt/cortona1$ touch one
touch: cannot touch `one': Permission denied

Downgrading to 1:1.1.0-5 restored proper write access. Is this a
familiar-looking problem to someone?

Dave

2008-11-30 23:18:23

by Steinar H. Gunderson

On Sun, Nov 30, 2008 at 02:13:49PM -0800, David Liontooth wrote:
> Here's the verbose output of the version that didn't work, nfs-common
> 1:1.1.3-2:

1.1.3-2 is broken; do a dist-upgrade.

/* Steinar */
--
Homepage: http://www.sesse.net/

2008-12-01 06:54:03

by David Liontooth

Steinar H. Gunderson wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 30, 2008 at 02:13:49PM -0800, David Liontooth wrote:
>
>> Here's the verbose output of the version that didn't work, nfs-common
>> 1:1.1.3-2:
>>

> 1.1.3-2 is broken; do a dist-upgrade.
>
> /* Steinar */

Thanks! Will the new version work against 1:1.1.0-5? I need to export to
and mount from several systems I cannot upgrade.

Dave

2008-12-01 08:55:13

by Steinar H. Gunderson

On Sun, Nov 30, 2008 at 10:53:55PM -0800, David Liontooth wrote:
> Thanks! Will the new version work against 1:1.1.0-5? I need to export to
> and mount from several systems I cannot upgrade.

You mean on the server side? To the best of my knowledge that should be fine.

/* Steinar */
--
Homepage: http://www.sesse.net/